This Disappears When Logged In

Photographing Herp...

Discussion in 'Member Photos' started by DwarvenChef, Mar 1, 2012.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Just realized I was posting behind the boards about macro lenses when I'm sure others would benefit from the same information.

I'm currently looking for a dedicated macro lens as 90% of my picture taking is of very tiny things. My daughter has a Cannon T2 DSLR (lucky bugger) and I was going to get a macro lens that I can use with her camera (ya she's all broken up about another lens to play with). With suggestions from people here and from the local photo shop I'm looking at a 60mm to 100mm macro lens but need to try them out on the camers to see what I really want to run with.

Durring the conversation at the shop about my old Cannon AE1 Program from the 80's, I dug it up and looked it over again. Raplacing it would be a heck of alot cheaper than fixing it, sorry to say... But the damage is not as bad as I originaly thought it was. I thought the door was corroded and no longer light safe. However the rust is only surface rust that may be cleanable and re painted, if thats the case I will at least have a 35mm SLR camera that I can get up and running on the cheap. Sure the film and developing will cost $$ but not as much as shelling out $600 for a lens and light ring at this time. I can make due with my 2x converter and a light tent :)

I'd love to see more on what everyone does to get great pics of herps and if we could get the photo experts to keep us in line going the right directions, I'm sure we will all benifit for the exchange :)

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can get lots of great deals on used equipment from photo shops online. check out ebay.
    On a side not. My DLSR is still not working. Got some new batteries in yesterday and it still will not power up.
    Have to make a call and see what it will cost to get it checked out.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I believe I've posted my setup on here somewhere before, but this is my main macro rig:
    Canon 1DIII, Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, Extension Tubes, Tamron 1.14x Teleconverter, 580EXII flash with off shoe cord and homemade diffuser.
    5743602773_f90ddbfeaf_z.jpg
    5744479843_b1011e078e_z.jpg
    5744483155_7f73831cb8_z.jpg
    And here is an idea of the range of motion it has for specific lighting angles and camera orientation
    5433867533_c98c5f32e5_o.gif
    These will give you an idea of what the adjustable diffusion panel actual does...look at the highlights
    Panel Up
    5451993856_e8e3c2222f_z.jpg
    Panel Down
    5451997928_d9b0d39036_z.jpg

The idea is to better control diffusion, especially when working with glossy/reflective subjects. The main diffuser is constructed of a 1 gallon bleach bottle lined with reflective metal tape, using some thin packing material and a few panels made out of vellum paper for diffusion. The panel is hinged to the diffuser to allow adjust-ability. It cost me less than $5 to make.

I also built a custom light stage for studio and product work, although I've yet to photograph any herps in it thus far.
    3897339461_236e199b43_z.jpg
    and a couple product shots...
    3888192943_6ed460aa8b_z.jpg
    5623529650_cd91799b81_z.jpg

Attached Files:

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Would it be rude of me to ask how much money went into building your stage box? I bought mine, and I'm constantly having to replace it.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Rude? Yes, very. haha, seriously though, not at all. I had all the supplies already but if you had to buy everything new, just guessing here, maybe $30-40 or so? It's hard to price out material costs when I already had nearly all of it, aside from the fabric. The most expensive element is the formica/laminate, which I had left over from my desk build. I think it was $40 or $50 for a 4x8 sheet, but you should be able to use something cheaper that shares similar flexibility and rigidity. You can also buy up some good quality paper to use as color inserts to provide you with more backdrop options.

6. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I have laminate!

Okay, I seriously feel really foolish now... I spent way too much. Thanks. :D

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha, it happens.

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Nice set up :)

Till my wife recovers from the shock of my asking about getting a digital macro lens (she's used to me asking these kind of questions :p) I will most likely not get one this year. However I may be able to get one for my 35mm :) I have not looked for Cannon AE1 Program lenses yet so I don't know if they will be afordable or not. Monday I'm going to get new film and a new battery for my AE1, it seems to still work so I'll shoot a roll on my girls and see what comes out. But I need a light/flash as the old one was toast long ago...

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Well good news is that my first roll of film hastaly shot and rushed through the 1hr process just to see if the camera works. I shot half the roll manually and half on the "Auto" setting. I remember why I don't like auto setting now lol. White balance with my rim light is trash, absolute trash, shooting some coins the white card was as grey as you can get... Have to look into that and see what needs fixed, or forget taking those kinds pics...