This Disappears When Logged In

Pest Magic, Bad for Reptiles????

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by MMWC, May 26, 2010.

1. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

Hi, my wife wants to get this product from the below link. It is a ultrasonic pest repeller. It is safe for pets. You plug it in an then it uses the house wiring system to drive out pests. I am wondering if it will affect my Reptiles? Would anyone know?

HOMEMARK - Pest Magic

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As far as I know there were issues with those units a few years back because tests showed they didn't actually work as claimed. With that in mind I would research reviews on the product before I even considered buying it.

It is suppose to let out a "signal" that deters insects and other pests. I would be curious if the silent sound waves would cause distress to snakes.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. They are a scam! Hang on to your money!
    The heads up should be that these products claim to chase out rodent pests but not bother rodent pets?
    How would the "signal" know the difference between a "pet rodent" and a wild one?

And check this out http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/ultrasonicdevices.shtml

4. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

I own one of these things and they DO NOT work at all, just ask the spider living in my window. I no longer have it plugged in just cause it wastes power. I think they are sold by the power companies in disguise lol.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What are you trying to get rid of? There are many herp-safe solutions that are far more reliable than that.

6. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

You have a good point here. I just read this url, makes sense.

My wife is trying to get rid of the cockroaches. We have only now recently started having the problem and that was the first thing she looked at when it happend to be advertised on TV. After reading this and finding other reviews about it, we will rather look at other safe solutions. Thanks for the input guys.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I had to battle those nasty things years ago! YUCK!
    I used a combination of those "Roach Motel" things (They were spread out everywhere!) as well as the gel baits that you dispense from a tube.
    It took some effort but finally got rid of them!

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I find that the tube bait works the best on all pests!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It took a lot of work, but I finally ousted the roaches in my apartment

Get sealing jars and containers for your pantry - no more cardboard boxes for cereal, pancake mix, etc. You can get inexpensive sealing plastic jars at wal*mart for a dollar and change each.

Same for pet foods. We store our cat food in a sealing plastic bucket.

Roaches are also drawn to things that use electricity - we found them near the compressor on our chest freezer, and motor for the water fountain we used for our cats, etc. We tossed the fountain, our cats get a dish now. they were not happy with it at first. We made screen panels to cover the vents around the compressor of the freezer to keep the roaches out, and put poison inside, should they get inside (screen also kept cats from getting into the poison) Have not seen roaches in there since.

We did put baits anywhere the cats could not get to them, and they would not come in contact with food surfaces (behind and under appliances)

Any place we could not put baits, we put diatomaceous earth - check your local feed stores for it. We bleached all our cupboards and drawers, and then sprinkled this in them. It's harmless to everything but invertebrates, and is often used as a de-wormer for livestock and domestic animals. It will not harm you to eat any (and some health gurus swear by it.). Once they get it on them, it damages their exoskeleton, and they dessicate and die. I also sprinkle this around my pets cages, because we have issues with ants here too.

I have had significant luck with these methods. I hope they work for you too.

10. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

Sounds like alot of work to get rid of them, but sure worth it. We will definately try these this weekend. Thank you again for all the input!!