This Disappears When Logged In

Personal Experiences With Bull Snakes?

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Karma Momma, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

I'm researching a few different species for a new tank I'm getting within the next month. I've been doing a bit of research on bull snakes, but I'd prefer to get some first hand experience research.

I've only recently gotten back into the hobby and have a ball python and an African house so my snake keeping experience is limited.

In general, are they easily handled? What are the negatives of the species? Are they a species you would recommend to someone who is still a beginner?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When I was a boy I had a wild caught (by me) adult that was about 6 ft long. It was quite handleable. It would make quite a show hissing and carrying on until you got it out of the enclosure, then it was fine.
    The thing about bulls is that they can hit about 8ft long! So its going to need at least a 55 gallon tank.

Karma Momma likes this.
  3. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Bulls/Pines/Gophers (Pituophis) are all pretty sweet.
    They get big, look cool and pound rodents like no tomorrow.

As Merlin stated, a big enclosure is a must. Bigger the better. They are highly active, diurnal snakes.

Scotty and Karma Momma like this.
  4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I picked up a baby fire bullsnake (Stillwater hypo x Kingsville red) at a reptile show in February. Only time I'd handled a bullsnake previously was decades ago at a local pet shop. That one was an adult, and set me back a bit when he hissed (very loudly) when I reached to pick him up, but that was the extent of the display.
    My new baby is quite mellow for a colubrid, no hiss or tail buzz when I pick him up. Not flighty like the new baby milk snake, and generally acts more relaxed about being handled than my yearling+ king snakes or Japanese ratsnakes. Appetite is great, and he's chowing down f/t rat pinks every 5 days. As already noted above, an adult will grow to a rather large size, and being active snakes will need enough room to move around. A 4'x2'1' would be suitable. They don't climb like most rat snakes, so a taller enclosure isn't necessary. Requirements are minimal, warm spot in the mid-upper 80's, mine sheds fine on aspen bedding w/out misting or other regard to humidity.
    Here's a recent pic of the fierce monster, as you can see he's terrifying, lol:
    P1060882_zpsxpriur7b.jpg

Scotty likes this.
  5. Karma Momma

Awesome! The enclosure would be 4' x 2' x 2.5'. I'm researching a few different species and Repticon is this weekend so I'll be able to really get an idea of what all is available.

6. Karma Momma

That is a gorgeous snake, toddnbecka!

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Google Kingsville red bullsnake and check the images, that's what I'm hoping this one will look like when he's grown. I had no clue what a fire bullsnake was when I picked him up at the show, just liked him better than the regular bull and gopher snakes I saw there, lol.

Karma Momma likes this.
  8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

My experiences are similar to Merlin's. Active, good eaters and they mostly bluff rather than being mean.
    My parents have a 6ft Bull snake that lives under their greenhouse and they see him in the garden constantly. My mom sent me pics of him eating a baby bunny one year. I've handled him a bit and he huffs and puffs and hisses but he's more interested in getting away than fighting me.

My parents live on 1/2 acre and they see him all over the place so I would +1 for them needing a bit of room as well.

Karma Momma likes this.
  9. Karma Momma

The tank would be 4' x 2' x 2.5'. I like the idea of a "sassy" snake. Due to my limited experience level, it being mostly bluff is a very good thing, although I have taken a bite or two in the past. They were much smaller, but I can take comfort in knowing I didn't panic or cause the snakes to become more upset. Safety for myself and the animal are top priority.

10. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

That size is adequate, Id personally go bigger though. (That's just what Id do.)

11. Merlin

One thing about bullsnakes is they do a heck of an imitation of a rattler! They will coil hiss and strike and vibrate their tails on the ground.
    My mother thought that is what I had brought home when she found mine. I was 2 blocks away when I heard her screaming my name!

KrokadilyanGuy3 and Karma Momma like this.
  12. Karma Momma

I'm starting to think a different species would be a better idea then. I like to give my animals plenty of room. I cannot go any bigger, which is why I'm researching and trying to make sure I get the correct animal for that specific habitat.

rofl!!!! I would've loved to be a fly on the wall for that!

13. Merlin

When I heard her, I knew,....she found my snake!

Karma Momma likes this.