This Disappears When Logged In

People Can Be So... STUPID.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by annarawrr, Feb 6, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

A mini rant once again!

The other day I bought a box of pinkies for my corn during my lunch break, and I brought them back to the office with me and told one of my friends about it. This other girl heard us talking in the lift and went NUTS! She was like "OH MY GOD THAT IS SO CRUEL!!!!" and just went "Huh?" cos I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. She went on to say "That's so CRUEL to the mice how could you do such a thing that's so inhumane etc etc" so I told her it's not cruel, it's life! Yes I am sad that the mice have to die, but what am I going to do, feed the snake veggies? Life just doesn't work that way! In the wild they'd eat mice anyway and there's literally nothing anyone can do about it! She was acting like snakes are the only animals that eat other animals and she was just all round appalled by this STARTLING FACT. She made it sound like I was only keeping carnivores so I could kill and torture other animals.

I don't know why I'm still so irritated about it. I know people here aren't very receptive to reptiles in general but that was just... For lack of a better word, just STUPID.

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I assume she never wears anything leather and is a total vegan...

Buddha said "Life is difficult" and the Buddhist say that if you accept this as a universal truth, then your life will be LESS difficult because you stop expecting it to be easy!

My universal truth is "People do and say stupid things" -- Accept this fact and you will be less surprised and annoyed when people do and say stupid things, because you'll stop expecting them to behave otherwise!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My basic response to such things is to ask them,
    "If you were in your kitchen and saw mice running around the floor what would you do? You would put down traps or poison to get rid of them.
    At least as feeders their death amounts to more than just getting rid of YOUR annoyance."

That usually brings the conversation to an end.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

it's called a food chain, lol. People have been so isolated from it, many kids now think beef comes from the supermarket on foam trays,. not from cows.

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Everyone on here makes a valid point! I was just so taken aback by her comment I didn't know what else to say. I'm pretty sure she's not a vegan but look at it this way, veggies and rice etc have to be harvested, and wheat fields and veggie patches are home to plenty of mice and birds. When you harvest wheat for example I'm sure the machinery kills plenty of animals! No disrespect to vegans but I'm just using that as ONE example of why it's NOT possible to live life without hurting any other living thing. Of course I'm sad when the mice die but I'm also happy that my snakes are healthy and growing! At the same time, I keep rodents as beloved companions and feed THEM what they need. That's life!

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey! Don't throw the V word around :p Not all of us are crazy.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Some people... To be honest I would rather see the meat get used then rot. Like I would rather see a deer get killed by a hunter then a car. Atleast I know the hunter will have a freezer full of meat. Instead of rotting on the side of the road or attracting predetors who also get killed by cars.

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

As a butcher and a cook I get sideways glances from many employees and customers (I work at a healthfood chain). I've ben called a flesh peddler and many other things lol. I just tell them "At least I know where my food comes from, and I waste nothing." I don't believe in any restrictive diet, everything in moderation.

As for snakes and their food I get the same treatment you all have come across, my favorite customer reply of all time "Dont the make snake sausages (80's or 90's)? You could feed them those" I just about busted a gut right infront of them.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I meant no offence to Vegans or Vegetarians. To quote Mr. Spock "We all feed on death, even vegetarians."
    (Star Trek, original series, episode "Wolf in the Fold")

10. mshrmheadcharge

Lol, Andrea I know! No offense taken. I love dead plants, they taste delicious.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Many in our modern society seem to not have a clue as to where or how they come by their own food!

I recall seeing a bit in a newspaper where someone was harping on hunters and that they should be ashamed of themselves. They should just go and get their meat at the grocery store,....
    (are you ready for this?)
    Where no animals were harmed in its production!:rolleyes:

I guess she thought that there was a factory somewhere that just spit it out of a machine wrapped neatly in cellophane!

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I hunt and I'm also letting my daughter see that my snakes eat other animals. I don't let her watch everything but she knows what they're for. I don't want her to grow up being ignorant in life. I've felt as long as you have respect for other life then at times we all must do what we have to and eating an animal is a gift we get and should appreciate. She loves animals and has been taught to be very gentle and caring, but she loves eating too. Come on who doesn't love a nice steak on the grill ;) I support soooo many animal rights groups and organization, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop eating them, just means don't be cruel in the things we do :)

As for the girl that said that... I just tell people to mind their own you know what. I don't have time for stupidity, life is too short to worry about people like that.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I am the only person in my family who does not hunt. It isn't because I have any kind of objection to it (contrary) just because I cannot bring myself to kill the deer, even if I know I love to eat it. I'll get there someday. In the meantime, I spent November skinning and cleaning deer, so my brother doesn't have to waste his time doing it, and can get back in the woods and fetch me more venison. It's a fair trade-off, I'd say. His daughter is 8, and has seen every step of the process. I laughed my butt off when we were all at big-boy's restaurant one day, and she asked the waitress if they had any venison. The look we got was hilarious.

14. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

The mouse is tiny, cute and furry and warm. The SNAKE is poisonous, slimy, mean and cold....take your pick!

Most people hate all snakes and love all baby mammals. That is how they have been conditioned, so we poor misunderstood reptile lovers have to suffer because of ignorance. It's ignorance, more than stupidity. Such a pity!

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Exactly why I'm teaching my daughter they're all equal... though I still dislike mice very much :)

16. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Exactly this! "How could you do such a thing to a cute little baby mouse" but does it matter if a baby snake dies of hunger or gets run over by a car? And as Merlin said earlier if they saw a mouse in their kitchen they wouldn't think twice about hitting it with a broom or setting out traps. Phobias and fears are one thing, for example I'm terrified of spiders and my apartment is just crawling with daddy long legs... but recently I've decided they're just getting on with their lives and not hurting anyone. Same with snakes and every other animal on the planet!

17. Kalira

Kalira Elite Member

That reminds me of an excellent quote.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegan."

18. mshrmheadcharge

Also, mice are NOT cute.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Rodents are not cute. They are here for one reason: to provide food for larger carnivorous animals. Just my 2 cents ;)

20. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Everything exsists in the cycle for some reason or another, the smaller you are the more chance your food for something else. A quote I learned early in my days of fish and reptile keeping...

"If it will fit in my mouth, it's food"

In captivity these animals have had their natural order of things broken, some people refuse to learn that, and we as their keepers must addapt to just keep our charges healthy and reasonable happy. We will never get all the people to understand us, just as they will never convince us to understand them. Again all part of the cycle.

What we need to strive for is removing ignorance and fear from the picture. One of the best things I was able to do when I was still in the Herp industry was to help parents get used to being near reptiles. Their child would have done something to earn a huge reward and that kid always seems to pick a snake of lizard. The parents would not back down from that promis but it was obvious to me they where scared out of their minds. I set up times for them to visit the shop when it was slow and worked with them to find the root of that fear. Once we determined why they where affraid I was able to get them past that (most of the time) to a point where the parents where at least comfortable in the same room with the enclosure, some would even be able to hold the new family member. I'm still friends with some of these famalies and it's one of my favorite memories of my time in the industry.

Ooops that went on longer than I thought it would :p