This Disappears When Logged In

Peach Throat Monitor Help?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by chrisgglass, Jan 18, 2012.

1. chrisgglass

chrisgglass Member

Hello everyone, i am in need of some advice. i purchased a peach throat from this reptile show about two weeks ago, and my little guy isnt eating much. first i tried mealworms...and he refused all of them. then i tried ground turkey mixed with egg, and he only ate a few bites of it. i also offer him crickets, but he only eats a few of them. :/ the cage that he is living in is about 4 feet long, and 4 feet high. the temperature on his basking spot is about 95 degrees, and i have a heating mat under his cage that keeps his hiding spot pretty warm as well. he is about a few weeks old, and im really curious as to why he isnt eating? here is a picture of his cage:

Attached Files:

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Whole food only, no turkey. Basking spot needs a surface temperature of no less than 130f. You will need to use three 60 watt flood lights to do this. I also recommend building a Retes stack (google it). You will need a foot of deep, digable substrate. I recommends a 60/40 mix of Eco Earth and children's washed play sand. I also imagine your humidity being too low. This is why your monitor isn't eating. I recommend building a custom wood enclosure as soon as possible. Minimum dimensions should be 8x6x6. Until you get him set up properly, he isn't likely to thrive.

3. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

4. chrisgglass

chrisgglass Member

do you recommend a specific food? and thank you for your help. i will build him a retes srtack as soon as i can. also, do you have any ideas to increase the humidity in the cage? i was thinking about getting a fogger, but im not so sure at the moment :/

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Sorry, I was editing my post.. look up, there is some more info there.

I use a humdifier.

6. BarelyBreathing

You need an infra red digital temp gun, as well as a digital hydrometer. Take out any screen that is on the tank. Solid enclosure (no screen)+deep, moist, and digable substrate=humidity.

As far as food goes, start a roach colony. Roaches, rodents, quail chicks, fertilized (chick inside) quail egg, crickets, head on shrimp, freshwater crab, crayfish, snails. Make sure everything you purchase is fresh and organic. Chemicals and preservitives kill reptiles.

7. chrisgglass

chrisgglass Member

thank you! i really envy your enclosure. i am actually going to use yours as a template. i read that article on peach throats,thanks for posting it. and a humidifier? ok,i will look into that. thank you for all your help!

8. chrisgglass

chrisgglass Member

start a roach colony? that sounds interesting!...uhmm,any roach species in particular?

9. BarelyBreathing

I use dubias. They're tropical, so if they escape, they won't infest your house (unless you live in Florida). They don't smell, don't make noise, and can't climb smooth surfaces. You can look for suppliers of starter colonies online. I keep mine in 18 quart storage tubs.

10. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

They are cool...

A freshly molted (NOT albino) Dubia..

dubia1.jpg

dubia2.jpg

dubia3.jpg

Males have wings (Useless wings, no worries they will not be flying around in your home)

A male and a Juvi...

2aroach.jpg

an adult female....

1aroach.jpg

you will have to leave the roach poop in the tote, sounds nasty, but the babies eat the poop.

I use a 62 litre "rub" (poly tote) and some empty egg cartons.

Dubia love fruit, cut up some pears, apples or melon and supplement with corn flour, instant potato flakes (I mix in a little sugar, they love sugar)

a shallow water container (I have a small fake rock bowl, it is rough, so the can climb in and out without drowning)

Attached Files:

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`ve said all this before, but here goes: You need a range of temps and humidity; the lowest ambient (air) temp should not be below approx 24c (75f), then a basking surface temp between approx 50 to 60c (120 to 140f), it doesn`t really matter what the temps between those two are...
    A deep substrate will help with the humidity. You MUST provide a number of hiding places throughout the enclosure, at ground level and above. Stout, firmly fixed branches for climbing, pieces of bark etc for hiding under, plastic plants offer cover too, at the moment, that enclosure looks almost empty.
    For the time being you need to cover the back and two sides with something (and also the top), cardboard will do as a quick fix, or 6mm (1/4inch) plywood just taped around the top and bottom on the outside`s better, and will help stabilise the temps, a solid top willl keep the humidity in, you only need s few small holes for air exchange.
    Until you get the surface basking temp up, and a decent humidity range, lowest around the basking area (around 50%, up to 70% in the open parts), the monitor cannot function efficiently, so it`s urgent that you do this.
    I agree with BarelyBretahing on diet; whole animals only!
    The article by R. G. Sprackland is o.k, but there are far more reliable sources of captive husbandry, in my opinion!

12. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Can you please point some out, I like that kind of information...

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are you asking for info on captive care of varanids in general? (It might take me a while to sort them out and write some down, but I`ll be glad to)!

14. thecw

thecw Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the lot of them should be posted if possible.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, which species do you keep, and do you want info on that/them, or just on Varanids in general?

16. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

There seems to be a high demand for reliable information on varanids in general, I'd also like some useful and informative articles, books, care sheets about them!

17. thecw

thecw Well-Known Member

Any and all species please! :)

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Gee, you don`t make it easy... ALL species!?
    O.K, first I recommend reading "Biawak" the free online journal on Varanids, both wild and captive, though I suspect you already do...
    A few good books, some on varanids in the wild, some on captive care: You only need the ISBN to get copies from either a library or bookstore..

"Varanoid Lizards of The World", edited by Eric Pianka and Dennis King (2003): ISBN; 0-253-3466-6

"Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards" edited by Mike Swan (2007): ISBN; 9780 9803667 Email: mikeswanherpbooks.com.au

"Mertensiella, advances in Monitor Research" vols 2, # 11 (1999) and 3 #16 (2007) .. I don`t have the ISBN for vol 2, but vol 3 is: 978-3-9806577-9-2, and they are still available as far as I know. Supplier: Email: gs@gdht.de (Germany).

"Varanoid Lizards" by Bernd Eidenmueller and Hans-Dieter Philippen (2008). ISBN; 978-3-89973-356-3. Email: frogbook@aol.de

There are so many books that contain info on varanids in the wild and captivity, the above are among the best, they all discuss many species..
    I have over 2oo scientific articles, most on the physiology, behaviour, etc, some quite technical, but still very interesting for anyone wanting to learn a little more about how these animals function..
    If anyone has a particular topic in mind, tell me, maybe I have something specific on it, though obviously I cannot print them out on the website!
    EDIT: All the books are in English...

19. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Since this thread is about peach throats, out of respect for the O.P. wouldn't it be best to keep on topic, rather than confuse a new keeper?

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stefan why not add those books here,....
    Monitors - Reptile Books
    This will also allow you to rate them and give a short writeup, if you wish, on what you like or dislike abut them. It will even open up the individual books for discussion.
    Never hurts to share the knowledge!