This Disappears When Logged In

parasites?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by grim, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grim

grim Elite Member

I'm gonna be honest and say that my monitor isn't growing nearly as much as I would like him to in fact, he's gotten skinny. That being said, I have been making sure I that meet his required humidity, enclosure(for his size anyways), temperature, and nutrition requirements. He eats his fill of calcium dusted crickets every day and gets a hopper once a week. Has the proper humidity like I said (around 75-80 percent).

He likes to relieve himself when I pick him up, which is typical, but today I noticed his stool looked discolored and greenish. Could parasites cause him to become so skinny, I have pics of him from four weeks back where he looked a lot fatter, and he was under the same living conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's being fed EVERY day and he is eating and behaving normally, I just don't know what to do about his lack of weight gain, I know for a fact that he has increased in overall length, but not fat to body proportions.

Should I take him to my petshop (surprisingly they actually do have some medical herp knowledge)? Or am I doing something wrong? He hasn't looked this skinny since the whole getting loose and running around my house for three weeks incident.

I had some extra time so I figured I'd ask on here before I obligated myself to the vet or petshop.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

It is very possible he has parasites. I am assuming he is a wild caught monitor and most wild caught reptiles are loaded with parasites. With how you described his symptoms I would suggest a vet visit. Best of luck.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

I would definitely take him and a stool sample to the vet. It could be parasites which would be why he isn't gaining.

**edit** Ken typed faster than me for once :p

4. grim

grim Elite Member

I've had him since late June -early July of last year though... wouldn't the parasites have popped up earlier than that? You're probably right about him being wild caught though, I did purchase him from a petshop and not a breeder after all... stupid me. *begins the badgering task of asking mother to call vet*

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

If it has been that long it might not be parasites from the wild......not to mean he does not have parasites. If he is eating as usual without weight gain I would highly recommend a vet trip, whether parasites or not, something is not correct. Your temps and humidity seem fine. What type of substrate are you using ?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Eating but not gaining weight, discolored stools, sounds like a parasite problem to me as well.
    The parasites could have been present all along but some type of stress (like his escape adventure when he did not have the proper temps etc, allowed them to gain a foothold and multiply. It doesn't matter that the petshop has " some medical herp knowledge". When there is a possible medical problem take him to a vet.

7. grim

grim Elite Member

Vet it is, are there any "over the counter" parasite treatments I can order if it turns out he does have parasites? Fortunately I have no problems with giving shots and the like.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Dont think so Grim, most of treatments needed for internal parasites are all prescription.

9. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Going back a bit on the conversation, looking skinny might not mean anything at all if he's getting bigger. One of my beardies had that skinny look but his weight had tripled in 3 months.
    Are you basing your statements on actual weight readings or just visual clues?

10. grim

grim Elite Member

Visually, he looks fairly skinny to me, I've never had monitors before this guy, but usually I can tell when a herp looks skinny, I know he's gotten bigger because I've compared pics of his head next to my hand from earlier compared to now.

edit: took some more pics

Maybe it's just me, does he look skinny to you guys? Or am I being paranoid?
    He had a stool today and it didn't look discolored, it looked perfectly normal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I never had monitors and actually only saw one once so I'm in no position to make any judgement.
    I would only add that is in times like this that keeping records comes really handy!

12. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

When in dout, spend the 12 dollars, and drag a sample into the vet. Better safe then sorry. Even if you dont dout, it's good to take one in every so often to make sure you haven't imported something, it's always easier to erradicate something (with out killing the animal) if it's caught early before the animal's health fails, then you run the risk of the medication doing detrimental damage.

My 3 cents.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well said!
    Well said, indeed!

14. kritrdr

kritrdr Member

I agree with the other posters. Should come see one of us vets. A fecal sample is a very good idea in any wild caught critter. Almost always have some form of parasite usually multiple types. The type of antiparasit med depends on the type(s) of parasites found. Even if it is not the root of the "skinniness" it's still a good idea. I also agree that you should invest in an accurate scale and take regular weights. Many different species have different body types/styles (just look at humans). If the weight is steadily gaining and your particular pet is long and lean then less to worry about.

15. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

any update?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.