This Disappears When Logged In

Parasites? Help!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by NowAndNever91, Apr 24, 2010.

1. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

I need help with identifying parasites. I tryed looking it up online, but couldn't find anything that helped.
    We've always had a problem with ants, so I just thought maybe there was a baby ant in Tillys tank (I know it sounds stupid lol they do resemble baby ants,but light brown in color and very tiny)
    Then after today I seen four running around on her log she sits on. I know that their external parasites, I just don't know what the best way is to get rid of them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them, I just want to stop this before it gets bad. Tilly seems fine she is still eating, drinking, pooping, and being active.

So, the questions I have are: Can my CWD catch these even though my bearded dragon hasn't been in contact with him?
    If I clean her tank (boil, soak, wash) will they come back? If so, does this mean I need to definately take her to the vet?
    How do I identify these things to help take care of the problem?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I really need help! If anyone can help me, please do! Iv'e never delt with lizard parasites before and I have no idea what to do for her until I can get a vet visit in. Thanks for taking the time out to read this!

Another thing, Is it possible that the log/driftwood that you can buy from places such as PetSmart have termites in it? They look just like termite larvae! What color are most lizard mites?

2. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'm not 100% sure but they sound like mites. They can come in through certain substrates. What are you using currently? I would completely clean out the tank. Like you said, bake, boil, bleach, etc. everything in there. For now, use paper towel for the substrate so you can see if they come back. Give the dragon a bath in warm water, rub her down. Anything new you add to a tank like driftwood or grapevine or cork bark should be cleaned to make sure there are no little bugs in it.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if they are mites, as Orca said, remove everything from the enclosure, bleach will NOT destroy the eggs, do you have a separate tank you can put the lizard in for the time being?

4. NowAndNever91

Yeah, I have a 10 gal. I can put her in, which shouldn't be a problem since she's so small and it's temporary. I have repti-carpet for substrate.
    What is another way I can get rid of the eggs?
    Can my CWD catch these things, even if he hasn't been in contact with her?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I would treat both enclosures and animals just to be sure, you can buy the mite treatment quite easily, but I can`t tell you the brand names because I`m living in the U.k, but I`m sure someone will give you that info.
    Just use paper towels as substrate `til you`re sure all the mites and eggs are completely eradicated. (It could take a couple of weeks before you can put them back in their original tanks).

6. NowAndNever91

My other lizard is a CWD, he is almost adult size and I really don't have anywhere else to put him (other than his own enclosure). Is it okay if I Just sanitized his tank real good and put him back in it? I'll check out PetSmart today and see if they have anything like that.

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They can be quite difficult to get rid of, can you borrow a tank from anyone for a week or two, because after treatment, it`s advisable to leave the tanks empty for at least a few days.

9. NowAndNever91

Thank you, but all I seen at PetSmart was something by Jurrassi-Pet, called Jurrassi-Mite. Does anyone know if it is good to use or not?

10. NowAndNever91

I'll call around and see if anyone has a larger tank that I can borrow. I know a friend of mine offered me another 10 gal. for free, but that was just to put more fish in (and I know this wouldn't be suitable for him, he would go buck wild if I put him in something that small lol).

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Here`s one treatment I found, type this into your search engine, it gives full details and instructions, there are many similar products, but I think this sounds o.k: randallsreptiles.com/?p=725
    Let us know how you get on,

12. NowAndNever91

Yeah, I think I found it. The article talked about snake mites though, is their remedy still effective for lizards?

13. NowAndNever91

My mom bought this stuff that's used for fleas, it's called Virbac (you can only get it from vets and such). I've heard of people also using flea colars in the cage (with animal takin out of course). Although, it doesn't sound safe, would this work if I aired the cage out safely afterwards?

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Try your best to find something, I know it`s difficult when something unexpected happens, but you really do need to get him out of that tank for now, especially as we are really just guessing they ARE mites, can you see any crawling on the animals, and as aleady suggested, give them a bath in a shallow bowl of luke warm water, you will see them on the surface.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, definitely, they are sometimes called "snake mites".

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve never used it, but the proper mite treatment is best, (safe and effective).

17. NowAndNever91

I don't see any on the lizards, that's why at first I didn't think it was mites (I actually thought they were turmite larvae carried from the wood decor I bought from Petsmart). Whatever they are I'm going to treat them as if their mites just to be on the safe side.

I think I'm going to go with treating them with the Nix solution. It makes since to use it and the website you gave me was the second website that said it was proven to work.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

So long as you have somewhere to house them whilst you treat the enclosures, but usually mites are in their hundreds or thousands. It`s so hard to advise when we can`t actually see the animal/s and their enclosures! Try this; take out the wood and other furnishings, (empty the substrate too) soak them in a bowl of hot water, see if there`s anything then.

19. NowAndNever91

I can take pics and post them if you want?

20. NowAndNever91

Although, I'm sure you won't see the mites in the pics, their very hard to see...