This Disappears When Logged In

Paper Mache/decoupage Ok for Inverts and Herps?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Erwynn, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

So we have all this styrofoam and wanted to make some backgrounds, fake branches, and hides from them. I thought we could do paper mache over the styrofoam and put ecoearth on it while it was still wet.

The way I do paper mache is to use either a mixture of flour and water or to use elmer's glue and water. Then use strips of newspaper.

Thoughts? Ideas? We can't really afford to do all the fancy stuff, like tile grout and cement and all that. So I'm trying to think of an alternative.

Would the finished product be safe for the animals? I'm thinking we'd have to water seal it with something, since the humidity might cause the paper mache stuff to come off or something.

Also, I was thinking of using decoupage glue on the styrofoam and then just putting ecoearth over that. You think that would be toxic? It says it's non-toxic.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you`re sure the glue`s non-toxic it should be safe enough, although I`m not sure how long it will last with the monitor climbing over it, but it`s worth trying. I would use real branches though.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The paper mache is a bad idea. the slightest little opening in the seal will allow moisture into it and it will mold up and rot.

4. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

A bag of concrete at Home Depot or Lowe's is $5. and thats a ~90 lb. bag. That will SURELY work (that's what I used on styrofoam after I failed with grout)