This Disappears When Logged In

Panther Chameleon Setup

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Yonoi, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Yonoi

Yonoi Member

I am building an enclosure for a future male panther cham. It will be 2' x 2' x 4' and I'm planning on having the door made of screen. The rest of the enclosure would be plywood (made water tight). I am starting a few hibiscus to plant inside.

I just have a few questions, if anyone could help me!

First of all, I have read conflicting information on the screen vs. wood/glass enclosures. I would like to keep in as much humidity as possible. Would my plan to have one side be made of screen work? Or maybe the top should be screen as well?
    Secondly, I have never grown hibiscus indoors but I have read that a grow light might be necessary to help them thrive and bloom. If anyone can confirm this that'd be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've looked at growing Hibiscus as well and all I can comment on that is it appeared to be fairly difficult.
    In the past I've bred veiled Chams and I am not a fan at all of screen of any kind on a Chameleon enclosure.
    Properly sustained hydration is so difficult in most households with screened habitats, which is the reason my Chams died.
    I'm not saying it doesn't work at all. I'm sure with a misting system running VERY frequently it would work.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any flowering plant is going to require a LOT of light. A hibiscus would be doable but you are looking at something like a mercury vapor lamp. The little fluorescent grow lights aren't going to cut it.

4. Yonoi

Yonoi Member

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to get a ficus or something to put in there. Maybe I can sun the hibiscus outdoors and switch them out. I'm trying to make this as uncomplicated as possible but it's hard with all the information out there.

The room that I'd like to keep my cham in also houses a few desert reptiles. Will a fogger/frequent mistings raise the humidity enough to effect them? I'm a little worried about it.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

OK, I don't breed chams, but I have a friend who does and have studied what his setups are like. He has similar sized cages, and I think he uses glass doors with an area of screen both above and below, something like about 2"x12" each. Also, a cham will be all over your plants, so if they aren't up to the abuse I would skip them. Screen cages are plain useless unless you have a climate controlled room here the humidity and room temp are maintained for the needs of the animals. I doubt that cham cage will affect room humidity much unless you have little or no ventilation.