This Disappears When Logged In

Painting Furniture

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by clemsonguy1125, Mar 12, 2012.

1. clemsonguy1125

clemsonguy1125 Active Member

I have some pine furniture in my room that needs to be painted, right now it is not. I have so kilz primer to prime and seal it with. I have some latex paint or oil paint to paint the final coat on. Does it matter what I use? Ill it air out outside for a couple days.
    Thanks

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s always best to use either water or oil based for undrcoating and top coat rather than mixing the two types.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Is is for an enclosure, if so go water base paint and sealer.

4. clemsonguy1125

Its for a aquarium rack across the room from my bearded dragon. I decided not to put my bearded dragon on a pine stand. The only reptile that might possibly be in a tank on the rack is a musk turtle. The kilz primer is oil based I think, the the paint I want to use is latex based. Could I just skip the primer? I don't care if it looks great, as long as its reptile safe.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If it`s just to rest something on and you`re not too worried about the finish, yes, you can skip the primer. it just means it won`t be very hardwearing, which probably won`t matter anyway, but you should still sand the present surface down a little before applying the new coat, so it gets a "key".

6. clemsonguy1125

Is oil based paint ok if I let it air out.