This Disappears When Logged In

Pacific Tree Frog Tadpoles Don't Seem to Be Eating...

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by beverly, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beverly

beverly Member

I have some Pacific Tree Frog tadpoles, identified with the help of everyone on this site :), and they don't seem to be eating but are growing quite quickly. I have provided large leaves covered in algae (from the pond where I originally found them) that they seem to be nibbling on. However, the algae is getting eaten and I'm worried it will all be gone soon. I have boiled spinach for them, which they didn't eat and also given them fish flakes as well as tad pole food (pellets from the pet store).

Should I worry? Or should I try to feed them something else (ie boiled romaine lettuce, eggs, etc)? Also, many of them have their back legs in but no front legs yet just fyi.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. willk

willk Active Member

your tadpoles will be fine. consider this: some eggs get laid in tiny vernal pools or roadside ditches where there is little to eat and many predators and still they survive well. tadpoles of all treefrogs are some of the quickest to grow and a lot of their nurishment comes from their tail slowly reducing. I also think they can absorb nutrients from the water without necessarily nibbling ON the food item.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Put in raw spinach leaves (not cooked) and get some algae wafers and shrimp pellets from the pet store. You can find them in the fish section in packets or jars.

4. beverly

beverly Member

Thanks!

I put the raw spinach in and they're not eating any of it. I will go buy the algae wafers today and see if that does the trick. :)

5. schlegelbagel

I found that my tads ate it after it soaked in there for a good 12 hours. Give it time. Make sure you sink it with a rock to the bottom.

6. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I found that taking fresh spinach, freezing it and cutting it into tiny pieces worked best. I just sprinkled some (right from the freezer) in and let it sink when it was ready. Sometimes they ate it while it floated, sometimes they waited until it sank.

I also used bottom feeder fish food - they were round crunchy pieces that I just ground into smaller pieces. They sank and I would find my tads eating it all the time. You just have to watch how much you put in - because it would eventually develop fuzzy stuff. So if I found I added to much for them to eat within a day or two - I took out the old food before I added the new food. I used a turkey baster and sucked up the old food - worked great.

7. schlegelbagel

ooooh, I like the turkey baster idea!! Thanks Stephanie!

8. beverly

beverly Member

Hi everyone! Here's the update... I got the algae wafers (the sinking kind) and they have been in the tank for about 20 hours. The wafer dissolved and I've seen one or two of the tadpoles nibbling on it but it's still almost all there. I also put the spinach leaves in (unboiled) and they have eaten quite a bit of it! I will try freezing it as well and see how that goes.

Love the baster idea as well! :)

9. khouse29

khouse29 Member

10. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

The freezing part is really just to have it keep longer. 5 leaves of Spinach, frozen, was more than enough and lasted long enough for each batch of tads to turn into froglets. (I only fed all the tads for about a week until I picked out the one or two I was keeping, then the rest of the tads went to a pond).

Glad you liked the baster idea -- it was an idea gleamed from desperation -- I was NOT changing the water every day because of fuzzy food. (I had a small filter to keep the water clear of the other stuff).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.