This Disappears When Logged In

Outdoor Habitat

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Buggy0123, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I'm planning on building an outdoor habitat for my tortoise and bearded dragon and I have a few questions.

1. Can they be housed in it together? I only have enough room for one outdoor habitat and if the bearded dragon can't be with the tortoise a few hours out of the day then they will sawp off. It is around 6 feet long and 3 feet wide.

2. There are a lot of hawks where I live, will they pose a threat to my animal(s)?

3. How high should the walls be and what should they be made out of? I was originally going to use chicken wire that had very thin holes but when the bearded dragon uses it he will be able to climb out.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, no they cannot be housed together, yes the hawks WILL pose a threat (even if they can`t actually get to the animals it will still be extremely stressful for the tortoise and dragon to see them).
    Chicken wire will undoubtably cause serious injuries if either animals rub against it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok. I am onboard with Stephan but would like to elaborate.
    Absolutely not. The conditions for a beardie and a tort are too different.
    Not only hawks but crows ravens and other birds will take great delight in carrying your pets off.

An outside enclosure positively MUST have a secure enclosed top. Otherwise you are leaving it open not only to birds but also to dogs, cats, possums, raccoons, rats etc.
    Any predator that happens to wander thru
    Another thing is the term chicken wire is often used to refer to other types of wire. Chicken wire is made with large circular holes from the wire being twisted together at the joints. This is the culprit in many instances of toes being cut off.
    A wire type often referred to, incorrectly, as chicken wire is actually called hardware cloth. A metal screening with square holes, commonly 1/4 inch in width.
    Something else to consider is the presence of toxic insects outside. For example the consumption of a single firefly/lightning bug, will kill an adult dragon. People often think that all they have to do is throw something together and put their animals in it. There is a heck of a lot of things to consider.

4. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Okay, thanks. My plan was to create a box out of ply wood and make the top of it a hinged door with chicken wire so he'd have access to natural light but would be on plywood with whatever I end up making the substrate. My family doesn't use pesticides either.