This Disappears When Logged In

Out of Curiosity...

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by p1g, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p1g

p1g Member

How big should the tub for my AFT be? Something big enough to allow both a cool side and a warm side, 2 hides and a waterbowl, but still small enough not to stress her out? TUBS, not TANKS. She's full-grown. Thanks in advance.

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Out of curiosity, why tubs not tanks? I would say something close to the size of a 20 long. You know what might work well: those rubbermaid tubs that are made for under-bed storage. That will give him enough floor space, but be shallow since he has no need of climbing.
    [​IMG]

3. p1g

p1g Member

Tubs are cheaper and hold humidity better. I had her in a tank when I first got her and the humidity was always too low.
    Thanks. :)

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It was probably low because you had a screen top. There are lots of ideas to correct that problem and you would then be able to use a tank ;)

5. p1g

p1g Member

Meh, tubs are just a whole lot easier. :p
    But, I've got her in a 20-something quart tub.
    It's muuuuch better. :)
    Thanks.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Is it much better for you or for your gecko?:(

All reptiles needs space, space does not stress them it gives them something to do. You must always imitate the geckos natural living conditions otherwise you should not own the reptile. If you can tell me that AFT's does not move around in the wild then I would say yes a tub is better, but I do not believe that is the case.:(

Please read the care sheet and reconsider your geckos living conditions:
    African Fat-tailed Gecko (Hemitheconyx caudicinctus) Caresheet

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

you can get some really big tubs, Tubs should be ok as long as its really big with lots of hides and the correct heat and humidity and all that.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am trying to find a 20 something quart tub on google to see the size, with no luck! It really does sound small, plus I am sure the gecko won't be able to clearly see outside. It sounds like a terrible boring dull life.:(

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I agree 20 quart would be too small. However they make big ones that are
    60 cm x 120 cm (2ftx4ft) for sweaters and things that would work and some are pretty clear.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

20 qt would be the equivalent of a 5 gallon tank! Way too small. You need to double the size!

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I still think a tub is a bad idea. Even with the semi-clear ones you wouldn't be able to watch "gecko tv":p You would have to take it out just to be able to see it. To me watching what my CWD is doing in his enclosure is as much fun as when I have him out, and if I had a gecko it would be the same thing.

12. Merlin

You can get tubs that are almost as clear as a glass tank, but not quite. You just have to look for them.

13. p1g

p1g Member

Quite a demanding bunch, eh?
    My tub looks fine to me, it's rather big for just one gecko.
    She's not very active though, had her about a year and she hardly leaves her hides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She's on the bottom.

I had her in a 15qt, but it was too small.
    This is bigger than a 20qt, but I can't tell you the exact size. I took off the sticker when I drilled holes into it. v_v

14. p1g

p1g Member

I realize it's rather naked, I plan on putting some more things in it soon now that it's bigger. :)

15. Merlin

When it comes to the well being of the animal we can be!;)
    I wasn't envisioning a low long box but a deeper, aquarium like one. The floorspace is the difference.
    Here is a way for you to tell how big your enclosure is. Just measure and fill in the boxes and it will tell you gallon capacity.
    Gallon Converter

16. p1g

p1g Member

10.16 gallons, apparently.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

when I put my CWD through quarantine in a 40 gallon tub, it worked great. Granted, I didn't get to see her much (especially as my tub was opaque) but she did great, because she wasn't always stressed by seeing the world outside her enclosure, and CWD's are notoriously bad with too much glass.

Tubs work as well as tanks, as long as you get equivalent sizes, and they are positively perfect for anything that requires humidity. Much easier than modding screen tank lids in my books. I do use tanks though, simply because I have a strong preference for display cages.

Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.