This Disappears When Logged In

Out for a Stroll

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by DwarvenChef, Jan 25, 2014.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Came across a few early wakers, surprise it's almost 80 outside... (feels like :p) Saw a couple adults a a handful of baby S. occedentalis scattered about. This little gal was on a rock wall but jumped to a tree when I got to close, got the pics anyway :)

IMG_0235_zps21ba6019.jpg

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Nice pics

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sweet. With we had some lizards around here.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

we mostly have skinks and a couple fence lizard species...

7. zeppelyn

zeppelyn Member

Cool, there's no lizards at all where I live unfortunately.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Here either....just white stuff!

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Well the white stuff is here too but I meant during the summer lol

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

We have sand...sand...and rattlers but thats about it. On rare occasions I may see a chuckawalla or horny toad but mostly I see snakes especially sidewinders.

11. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I would love to be there.... I'm coming to feed the water dragon haha

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I love Chucks, been years since I had one. I need to get out there again to get some photos :) AZ has a few good swifts as well :)

This is where I fell in love with swifts. While the locals are not as big as those in the south west deserts they are none the less charming to me :)

13. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

What a sweet little gal:) Unfortunately, in my country we have very few species of reptiles living in the wild and even fewer people who can tell a grass snake from an adder:( I only saw a wild grass snake ONCE in my life, but I must say it was a very impressive encounter, the snake being about 5 feet long ( I didn't even know they could get that big;) I came across it by accident while it was swallowing a fish and then my neighbour's cat attacked it. He grabbed its tail and managed to drag it halfway up the stairs but the snake escaped, and the cat stole its fish:) I had an absolutely marvellous view of it slithering along the jetty and managed to touch it gently on the tail just as it slipped into the water...I know a grass snake is objectively not a big deal, but it certainly was for me at the time:) I was really angry with that cat, though...;)

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Only one lizard native to Michigan, the 5 lined skink. And I have never seen one for sure, might have seen one when I was a kid, but it dissappeared into the leaf litter not to be seen again. Might have to make an effort to find one this summer.

15. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

they have ways of making lizard traps on youtube that work fairly well, I made one last year and cought a couple....

16. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

The coffee can trap is an interesting one. As with any capturing device care and diligence is critical. When I was camping in the hills I would be at a location for a couple days so I could burry a can to its rim and place a board or what covering was handy. In the morning I would see what moved in during the night. A few times I found fat and happy kingsnakes :p seems they found a lunch box :p

At the end of the trip I would pull the can up and return the area as found. Many times I found skinks in the cans, and a few surprised rattlesnakes lol Always assume you have a hot captive and act accordingly...

18. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Always assume you have a hot captive and act accordingly...[/QUOTE]

Well said sir! We see more water moccasins down here then any other herp, aside from gators that is. Always assume hot first!

19. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Lived in Martinez, GA for a while. Was tickled watching wild Anoles running around the yard :) Never came across any Hots though, but I knew they where everywhere out there.

20. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Me and my dad when I lived in wv used to set out soda bottle lizard traps and usually caught broad head skinks and five lined skinks along with a few copperheads and one time we got a copperhead that we assumed went in there and ate a lizard that got stuck in the trap as he had a blue tail hanging out.....