This Disappears When Logged In

Our New Kingsnake..No name yet!

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Skeletor, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

This is our new kingsnake. We just got him today. An early CHristmas Present. His new home is a 40 gallon long tank, with a lock screen, sliding top. He has a cave for a hide box right now, and a little tree for climbing.

[​IMG]

We got him at petsmart. We were so excited to see an employee there that actually knows how to care for the reptiles, and has reptiles of their own. When we were there inquiring about snakes before, we actually has to tell the employee that was showing the reptiles, how big a BP was going to get and typically, how long they live.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Cute little king ya got there, congrats.

3. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Pretty King...

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Really nice looking snake! :)
    Good luck with him.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very nice!
    I would however provide him with a couple of other hides. Put one on the warm end of the tank, one on the cool end and one in the middle. That way he doesn't have to choose between whether he is the right temperature or is secure.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

we are gonna be buying at least one more hide box, this was just temporary untill we can buy another this weekend. And buy a few other things. Also, we were told that the kingsnake only requires 35-45% humidity, which, correct me if i am wrong, is typically the average precent in a household. Is this correct? I don't deny the lady knows what she was talking about when it comes to certain reptiles, cause we talked a lot about reptiles and she has a lot herself and seems to know a lot, but she has never owned a snake and when i asked, she read it off a little card.. Im just curious if i would need to monitor the humdity closley or not. I mean im sure i should anyways, but if a normal household does have 35 - 40% humidity, then i would feel like i don't need to stress on it as much, but just check now and again to make sure there isnt any dramatic shifts in humidity...

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

Also, if anyone has any ideas for names, that would be great.. Me and my wife just cant think of anything creative. We were trying to relate the black and white to another cartoon animal or something (i.e. snoopy). But at this point ive started just thinking of random names really.. Just looking for a little jumpstart, seem to be coming blank when it comes to thinking of names..

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

Also last thing for the night. Since he is so small, how often should we feed him? We were told that they have been feeding him pinkies, but they never told us how often they were feeding him. So should we feed once a week? Twice a week? Or possibly more???

9. Merlin

My schedule for all my snakes, even hatchlings is one prey once a week. Chose something about the size of the snake s body at the widest point.

Kingsnakes are not as finicky about the humidity as your Ball python. I would not worry about it unless there are shedding problems.
    And a humid hide will take care of that.

10. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

great looking king

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

Ok well i think that he would be able to take fuzzies, but since i have 5 pinkies left, i figure i'll feed him twice a week on them till they are gone and then when they are gone, try the fuzzies. Especially since they do not leave much of a buldge, not enough to notice till you look real close... Also, we're having a little trouble gettin the temps up to where they should be. The warm side is about 87 and the cool side is around 68. We are using a heating pad underneat, probably close to the middle, but its more on the warmer side of the tank. We also use a drop light fixture, with a 100 watt light bulb. Its a 40 long tank, newspaper bedding for now. Any suggestions? Should i get maybe two smaller drop lights one with a 100watt and another with a 40, and move the 40 up in watts till i get the right temp.. Also, i never found a kingsnake care sheet... the only ones i found online weren't very detailed and left me with a lot of questions.. as you can see ^^^ lol. Anyone have any links to a good detailed caresheet???

12. Merlin

What sort of questions? You can basically use the same setup you would use for a cornsnake.
    No use wasting the pinkies, but I would go ahead and just feed them two at a time on a weekly schedule. This serves two purposes. It allows the snake's system a little time to rest between digesting meals and since you shouldn't handle for a couple of days after a feed it allows you more interaction time with the snake.
    You could try adding anoter light or you could go with a 150 watt CHE. That is what I use with my 55 gallon python tank.
    sheets of newspaper are fine to start with to monitor droppings and such during the first month or so but I would change to aspen after that.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

Ok well i thought that using two bulbs would cover a little more space, and it could be a little easier to adjust for the right temprature and a little cheaper too. It costs like $1 for a pack of cour at walmart and i could get 40s 60s and 75s for a total of like $4, to where a ceramic light at pet smart or petco costs around $20-40. I mean i don't mind spending the money on my pets, its just easier to get something cheaper that ultimately will do the same thing..

14. Merlin

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

thats true. so i'd probably end up spending the same if not more.. Im looking at the site right now, but im not finding ceramic heat emitter... i see esu, spectrum, incandesant, and so on.... is it under another name on this sight???

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

ok nevermind i found them, i was having a brain fart haha

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

Just an update. We decided to switch out tanks with the bp. So now the Bp has the 40L and the king has the 29 for now. It seemed like the bp was gettin big so fast, he needed more room and fast. So it actually worked out great cause now both snakes are much more active and seem to be doing great. We finnaly named our king Beetlejuice. And everything seems to be going great. He's taking fuzzies great now and is getting big. We've only had one shed so far, but i think in a few weeks i might try to get the next size mouse for my king. Our BP is huge, seems like they grow over night lol.

18. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Beetlejuice is a great name. very creative for a black and white striped snake lol.

they do seem to grow over night, don't they. you swear you have them out one day and they're so little and the next day it seems they've shot up a few feet. :)

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

Well the kingsnake didn't really progress at first because i don't think he was getting the right size mouse, so when we went up to fuzzies we started to see a dramatic difference with him. He's actually getting ready to shed for the second time since we got him, hopefully i can be able to see him actually do it. I've seen our bp get off the shed on his tail which was pretty neat, but i havent seen the begining part of either snakes.

20. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

seeing snakes shed is neat. i've never caught mine beginning it, i seem to catch them as the shed is coming down their neck and i watch from there. its pretty cool. i'm sure at one point you'll catch him shedding when you least expect to. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.