This Disappears When Logged In

Orange Throated Skink Hasn't Eaten?

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by MintyGamer, Aug 2, 2018.

1. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

I'm probably being over-paranoid, but I got an Orange Throated Skink from lllreptile yesterday and I love it! It's so cute, and it's actually getting pretty tame, I boop it's nose and pat it's head when it's not burrowed, and so far it doesn't mind, if mildly annoyed. I was told that their care was similar to a fire skink, so that's how I've been caring for it.
    Anyway, I gave it mealworms this morning and it didn't touch them, at all. The feeders I currently have in my disposal are crickets, mealworms, and dubia roaches.
    I'm low on roaches and crickets, so I've been sticking to feeding mealworms for the time being. It's in a 20gal tank with reptile dirt substrate (can't remember what it's called...) With live spider plants and a hide in the middle of the tank, but it often burries himself.
    Is there some way I can encourage my skink to eat?
    P.s. I'm thinking it's probably a girl because, if the species follows the same patterns, it's coloring is a very dull grey-black, but its scales shimmer in light, it's beautiful!

2. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Its a pretty universal thing when getting a new reptile that they are given the space to settle into their new home. Its a very stressful experience to be shipped from some big box retailer to a new home (you don't even know what stress the skink had gone through at the supplier, or even if they shipped you a healthy one).

Practice some patience with when its going to eat and most importantly, don't touch it to add to the stress while its trying to settle into a new home. Don't mess with it at all really and be sure your cage has a lot of places for it to hide. The skink needs to just adjust to its new surroundings. Something I have always done with any new reptile I got was to take the first fecal I could find to my local reptile vet to test and ensure there isn't any health issues going on you can't see

3. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

It's a new experience getting a reptile from an online store, I've only gotten them from the pet store lol, I didn't know I could add more stress to it! Poor thing...
    That's a good idea! I'll try to do that!
    I'm not sure if my local vet takes herps, I'm gonna have to ask
    I know they take more exotic species

4. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

You just need to get a fecal sample to ensure there aren't any parasites, and fecals are a non invasive thing to check. Just scooping up a poop sample to tinton to a vet that can do it won't cause any harm to the skink. So long as you don't mess with the skink that is. Hands off for the first while aside from putting food into the enclosure and changing the water dish

Darkbird and MintyGamer like this.
  5. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

It ate today! I just peeked into it's cage and the mealworms were gone :3
    I'm gonna look for a fecal sample here in a day or so, to ensure there will be one