This Disappears When Logged In

Opinion with Leashes..

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by CodyGalvan, Nov 15, 2014.

1. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

I am concede ring getting a leash for my juvenile iguana.. But I have read its not a good idea.. But I haven't got any input from actual people and was just wondering yalls input... Thnx for the help

2. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

When I was young and had my first iguana I'd seen pics of igs on leashes and wanted to try it. Big mistake. He hated it, and he lost a couple of spines struggling with it. I never tried it again.

I'd just wait til he's comfortable with you before taking him out, then you won't need a leash.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The hip leash I recommended to you is one I have used myself for many years. And I know many keepers who also have used them. Also for small monitors and bearded dragons. It goes around the body in front of the back legs and so is not a problem with spikes the way the neck leashes are. The harnesses that are available were never meant for iguanas. They are nothing more than a repackaged ferret cat or rabbit leash and an iguana can lay its front legs back and slip right out of it.
    And the leashes are nothing more than a safety feature. They are not meant for walking the ig like a dog. That doesn't work.

4. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

Cool if I get one the hip leash sounds good

5. Merlin

You don't buy them...you make them. Cost you under a buck.

6. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

How would I make one?

7. Merlin