This Disappears When Logged In

One More Good Reason to Give Blood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoness, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Because it can help detect diseases in you that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Today I found out that someone I have known since he was born was diagnosed with Goodpasture syndrome. It is a somewhat rare disease, occurring roughly one in every 1-2 million people. I used to babysit for him, and his brothers, sisters, cousins, years ago. Now they have all graduated, started college, started families (he is the youngest, just graduated high school last year.)

It all started with a fishy blood screening when he was giving blood (something he does routinely) and within a couple days, he ended up in a hospital getting a kidney biopsy. Over 80% of his kidneys have already been destroyed. This disease has a very rapid progression (in some cases, it causes death within weeks of onset) They estimate he has had it for no longer than 4 months, because last time he gave blood, it was normal.

This disease is an autoimmune disorder where your body produces antibodies to linings in your kidneys and lungs (lungs recover better than kidneys do) so they won't even give him a transplant until they can get his immune system under control. He is healthy, and pretty much asymptomatic, aside from his kidneys being toast. The next 8 weeks or so will be the hardest - if he survives those, he can probably qualify for a transplant, and might be back to some semblance of normalcy in 2-3 years, but it's already pretty advanced...

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

How tragic! Hopefully he caught it in time.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If they can suppress his immune system, and get him on dialysis, and another treatment, he might qualify for a transplant in 6-12 months, when they can be sure his immune system has gotten over whatever caused it to attack his kidneys to begin with.

Usually, once they get the immune system back to 'normal' the problem doesn't come back, and all you have to contend with is the damage it left behind, which can be anything, really.

He will certainly require a new kidney, at the very least.

There are a lot of functional treatments for this disease nowadays. 40 years ago it was a (very short) death sentence.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sounds like he has a very good chance.

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Praying for his health. That's really sad. And it sounds like even though it is fast progression the fact that he's had it for four months or less is good. Although 80% is a lot. I hope he can get a new kidney. This is sad news to hear.

6. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I donate routinely. I always eat healthier the week before so my iron is high. Tattoos make you ineligible to donate for 12 months. I hope your friend defies the odds and proves that miracles happen!

7. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

That is so sad. Such a young life. I hope he rallies, defies all odds, and goes on to live a long, happy, love-filled life.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

So far there has been no new bad news, but nothing terribly good. He's on immune system suppressors, and right now we are just waiting to see how well they will work. If they can get it in line, he'll be ready for dialysis and some other treatments they can use to stabilize him until he can get a kidney.

9. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

I really hope this all turns out well for your friend! I am an O+ blood type, universal donor, I make sure to donate at least 4 or 5 times a year.