This Disappears When Logged In

Okay to Refreeze Fuzzy Mice?

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Herpetrator, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Herpetrator

Herpetrator Active Member

Hey hey, new here. Getting back into reptiles again, and what started out as a breeding rack purchase for my leo project, is now my family including two new snakes! Snakes are brand new to me, and the guy just offered them to me for free as he was downsizing. I just couldn't say no. SO here we are. I now have an Okeetee Corn and an Albino garter. I just love them.

Anyway, today is my first day feeding. The corn snapped up hers in a heartbeat, but the garter is not interested it seems. At least not yet. He may still be adjusting.
    But, I was wondering if I could refreeze the mouse? After he refused it, I put the mouse in ice water and stuck it in the fridge. I just tried him again, and he is still not interested. I'd like to not waste it though.
    Okay to refreeze?

Thanks~ :)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Do you know if he was being fed rodents?
    Some people refreeze, If it was me I wouldn't, I would treat it like a piece of meat that we would eat, there is a two hour window to consume anything that is held at room temp.
    Hopefully someone will come by to help you out more.
    I would visit Rodent Pro web site and see what they say, I believe that is one of the Frequently Asked Question!

3. Herpetrator

Yeah, the guy said he feeds fuzzies. That's a good idea, I'll look there.

///Bah, nothing on the site about refreezing. :/

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the mouse was only thawed out an hour or two you could get by with refreezing it ONCE. More than that I wouldn't risk it.

5. Herpetrator

I just threw it out. I'm not risking it -and good thing I did. It was in the fridge thawed all day. Next time, I'll pack and refreeze immediately.

How soon should I retry him?

6. Merlin

If one of my snakes doesn't eat, that's it till the next week. Trying to feed over and over again every day or two is just going to stress it out.

7. Merlin

Do you know what the original owner was feeding the garter?

8. Herpetrator

Fuzzies, once a week.

That sounds like good advice, and I assume this is for snakes of all sizes?

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

We do not re-freeze EVER! I wouldn't recommend it.
    Also, when you offer the mouse to the snake, make sure it is warmed up first -- either in very warm (not boiling) water or with a hair-dryer. It should be the temp of a living mouse to get the snake really interested. Some snakes will take F/T that is not very warm, but most of mine will smell the mouse but bite my hand because they want what is warmer....

After I've warmed up the mouse in hot water or with a hairdryer, it is just TOO risky to refreeze. Also I find that they tend to get a bit soggy/thinned out and tend to burst if you re-warm them. (eeeeeeeewwww)

10. Herpetrator

Oh, now that makes sense! I should have realized that...

Okay, so next week I'll try a hot meal and don't save anything. Hmm..so if he refuses again, would it be harmful to give the fuzzy to my 5' Corn after she eats her adult mouse? I just hate to waste stuff. :/

11. Merlin

To be honest I have occassionally refrozen all sizes of rodents even up to adult rats without issue.
    Like you I hate to waste it.
    But as I said before it was only thawed out for a very short time. Over two hours and its trashed.

12. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

never swap prey items between animals, disease is the only thing that could come from that.

13. Herpetrator

Even if it didn't touch anything? That doesn't seem very likely. I can understand that leaving the mouse in the cage or rubbing it all over the snake...but dangling in the air a moment, I doubt is going spread disease. If that's the case, it would be airborne and they would both be sick anyway, as they are housed in the same rack.

But what do I know...that's why I'm here after all. I'm beginning to think I should have stuck with geckos! LOL -all this talk of infectious disease makes me a little wary. Hard to have fun with all the snake plagues about :p

-Nah, I kid. I love the slithery things. Germs and all!

14. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

I never refreeze. As soon as it thaws, the mouse is already decomposing. But I do breed my own as I feel fresh is better. But if one of my snakes decides not to eat it I will freeze it, For no longer than a week or 2.

15. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I would give the refused fuzzy to the corn, both snakes came from the same place right? I am sure both have been handled with out washing hands inbetween right?

If someone doesnt eat and I can't get anyone else to eat it I toss them back in the freezer. I use those ones the next feeding with someone who I know will eat it no prob.

16. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i just dont do it, because even the snake breathing on it could spread disease. alot of people do re use, and will thus dissagree with me on this, but it's up to you. keep in mind though, there is a possiblility, however small.