This Disappears When Logged In

Odd Shed Questions

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Atroxus, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I got a new adult female ball python recently from a breeder who was selling off all of her collection. She is 1700 grams and I was told she has never been bred yet. When I picked her up from the breeder she had a lot of old shed on her. I didn't give it much thought though because she seemed healthy other than the partial shed, I just soaked her when I got home and got all of the shed off. That was 7 days ago today. Day before yesterday she was back in blue again though, and today she shed again. This time she had a complete shed, which I unrolled to confirm that the eye caps came off. I am curious what this might mean. I have never seen or heard of a snake shedding twice that close together. My shortest interval between sheds until today has been 36 days.

Is it possible she is just in a crazy growth spurt? If so, should I offer her food 2 times a week instead of 1? She has eaten 2 small rats for me so far. One on the day I got her and one today. Or does it seem more likely that she was just left with stuck shed for close to a month(or more?) before I got her? Or is there some other possibility that I have not thought of?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

More than likely the sheds weren't actually that close together, rather the old shed was just there that long. Hard to say in a case like this.

Atroxus likes this.