This Disappears When Logged In

Odd Colored Spot on Head.. Problem?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Sinlightened, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

Hey... a friend was asking me about one of his BPs recently. said he has developed a small discoloration on his head. I told him from what he was describing it was probably just left from the shed and should pass with the next. but after another shed it's not gone and he says it has steadily gotten bigger.. a lot bigger than it was when he first noticed.

his temps/humidity have been good (89-91 warm side, 82-84 cool) 55% humidity. in a 60 gallon long enclosure. (little big for his size, but plenty of hides so he doesnt feel too open)

anyway... here's a pic of the discoloration.. anyone have any idea if it's normal or something that should be looked at?

Attached Files:

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I have seen spots like that on Shiiva before. I believe that it is where the shed comes off when it is not totally ready, or does not come off correctly. It is hard to tell from the picture but when I have seen it on Shiiva it was very small and almost a dull, less smooth spot. While it did not immediately disappear when she shed again, it did not get bigger. It took a few sheds and then it looked normal. I have seen it once or twice on her head and once on her body. I assumed that it was because she had bad sheds as I have a very hard time keeping good humidity levels here...
    I have never seen it cause any problem with Shiiva and it usually goes away after a shed or two. I have never seen it get bigger after a shed though, and a trip to the vet NEVER hurts...
    Maybe try some mineral oil each night next time she gets close to shedding? And maybe a little now. And I believe that the humidity should be above 55%. I don't remember the exact number, but I think a bit above or at 60%?
    Someone will be on soon who knows a lot more than me.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

some of our snakes get spotty like that if they have a bad shed. Our male BP does it too, and even though his last ten sheds have been great, the spots remain.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Same here, I have a male ball python now that has the same thing going on. It usually clears up after a couple of sheds.

5. Gsoza487

Gsoza487 Active Member

How old is it? My BP is 10 yrs. old and I experienced the same thing, DON'T worry as long as its eating and defecating your ok. Also if it is a bad shed leave it for the next shed. Tell him to keep a eye on him.