This Disappears When Logged In

Oaks Reptile Show Questions

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by waagyl, Sep 12, 2017.

1. waagyl

waagyl Active Member

I've only ever been to two reptile shows and never with a plan of coming home with anything other than feeders. This time I am happily in the market for a boa! I was wondering if shows typically carry albino boas (common/redtail) and/or boas older than just the typical yearling, as I have baby snakes and would love something more sizable (though rising one up is always the best option. If not this morph, what other pretty morphs are typically available? Prices I can expect? Of course this varies from show to show but I was just wondering what you experienced if you had purchased a boa or such at a show and have some information. Thank you so much!

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

What state do you live in

3. waagyl

waagyl Active Member

Sorry that's a good detail! I live in Pennsylvania.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Never been to that particular show but have been to a lot of others. Shows will vary and the species involved will vary as well. Used to there was lots of variety of species, but it seems lately they are loaded up with high dollar ball python and retic morphs. That's not to say you won't find what you are looking for and prices tend to be considerably less than pet stores.

5. waagyl

waagyl Active Member

Thank you! And yes, all I can really seem to remember seeing a ton of are ball pythons and retics, and not much else!

6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

The Hamburg PA reptile show is a good bet for finding what you're looking for.
    If you want something less common I have yearling Dominican red mountain boas available.

7. waagyl

waagyl Active Member

Do you have pictures and prices set for them? I'm mainly looking for redtails as they are my love but The Dominican Reds are quite gorgeous!

8. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Price depends on color phase, I only have a couple high red yearlings remaining, 2m/1f. The high reds are $250, others $200 (+ shipping). The remaining high red female and one of the others are eating anoles, rest have switched to f/t rat pinks. I have individual pics of all the remaining yearlings and their parents.
    I love red tail BCI's too, had a female back in the 80's when I was in college. Have a pair now, but several years ago when I was researching snake species before getting back into keeping them, with the intent to breed/raise some as well, I ran across the Dominicans. Currently have 5 assorted color phase adults and 4 younger (2013's) high reds that are probably mature now but still too small for me to breed them yet.
    Here's a link to my snakes album in photobucket. The first 4 pages are mainly the individual yearling pics, they're the only ones with names, starting with Dobby. My ex-wife randomly named them all after they were separated into individual tubs in racks to help keep track of them. They were just sexed a couple weeks ago, so the names have no bearing on genders. Further along in the album are pics of adult breeders and other snakes in my collection. If you see any you have questions about just ask, too many pics to copy/paste here though, lol.
    Snakes by toddnbecka | Photobucket