This Disappears When Logged In

Not Sure What to Do...

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Wyldrose, May 8, 2013.

1. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I purchased Casanova the cornsnake in July last year. He will be 6 this summer(not 100% sure on his age). He seems to be regurging every other month give or take. In September with his 1st regurg I had a fecal done, it came back clear. He's on my rack with all my other adults 75f cool side 87f hot spot(temp gun) all my other adults are doing fine. I feed my males every 2 weeks. After the 1st time I fed him again 2 weeks later(the protocol I read says not to feed until 10 days after). He regurged that one too. So I didn't feed him a month and fed him rat fuzzies(about 50% smaller then adult mice he normally eats). Kept that one down and the one 2 weeks after. Then the next one regurged. Waited another month and pretty much the same story... Last regurge was Thursday 4 days after he ate.

Right now with my Husband's illness we are surviving on my part time job. I have already spent a lot of my savings to get bills paid. I can apply for medical EI, still waiting on one more form in the mail. Knowing the Government here they will take their sweet time getting money out. Last couple months we spent more then we should have cat spayed, Gord got new glasses etc... So money is tight. Plus Vets here are pretty clueless when it comes to snakes, not sure what can be done with Cas. He is getting thin now, I wonder if it would be in his best interest to just put him down.

It's hard right now I have so much to worry about Then this snake who seems to get better then doesn't...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you checking just the rack temps or the individual enclosure? Maybe he is sitting on a hotter area.
    The only other thing I could suggest is to further reduce the size of the meal and if that stays down maybe feed him smaller sizes more frequently.

It never rains but it pours doesn't it!

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I know and I'm sure sick of being rained on right now! Gord thinks they will be bringing him to the Hospital here today or Friday, depends on the ride. I hope they will send him air ambulance. Helicopter is so much faster then ground!

I'll wait a month and try a mouse fuzzy. He is in blue right now, so he's still shedding normal. I will weigh him when he is done shedding and see what he has lost. I do check the temps inside each bin and did try moving him around in the rack to see if that helps. Usually when I do the once a month scrub no one is in the right place lol! I have their names on the bins.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If he is able to keep the smaller meals down I would think he has some sort of abscess or obstruction that doesn't allow larger items to pass. If you are wanting to find out what is wrong I think an x-ray would be needed.
    Heres a question...YOu say he regurges once a month...How often do you feed him? Is he regurging every meal or just random ones?

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Ok from my feeding log book:
    (all previous meals every 2 weeks before stayed down)
    Sept 2 adult mouse - Sept 5 regurge
    Sept 16 adult mouse - Sept 20 regurge
    Oct 20 rat fuzzy- kept down
    Nov 3rd rat fuzzy- kept down
    Nov 17 rat fuzzy- regurged
    Dec 15 small mouse- kept down
    Dec 28 small mouse- kept down
    Jan 12 adult mouse- kept down
    Jan 26 adult mouse- jan 30 regurge
    Feb- no food
    March 2 hopper mouse- march 5 regurge
    April 6 small mouse- kept down
    April 21 small mouse- kept down
    May 2 small mouse- regurged may 6.

It's almost random, nothing has really changed, temps are controlled, snakes live in my bedroom so no kids allowed.
    He was 520grams in Aug and is now 385 grams, so he is losing weight. He feels like my girls do right after they lay eggs.
    His spine is starting to show now.
    010-47.jpg
    Like I said my savings has been nearly wiped out, what money I have is going to my mortgage payment, Van payment, gas in my van(I work in a different town so need my Van) and to keep everyone fed. There is not going to be anything extra for a while. We will be applying for medical EI asap and it looks like Gord will need 8 weeks to recover before he can go back to work. He is the money maker I work 4 hours a day mon- fri. My checks are the "fun" money, not the pay all the bills money. Looks like I will have to get an evening job for a couple months.

I will try pinky/fuzzy mice, I have read about feeding Nutri bac to them too so I will try that. See if I can get him going again.

Attached Files:

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I am sorry all this is happening and with the random regurges that pretty much rules out my idea of a blockage. Nothing stressing him out?

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I don't think anything could be stressing him out. My cats do sleep in my room at night but I have not noticed them bugging the snakes. His bin is near the top so they can't sit there and look in. I have only been handling him to clean his cage. It's weird, when I feed him it's like will he digest this one or will I smell that smell? Maybe I should move him into the BP rack and get some more heat on him.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That may help.

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

RIP Casanova... I'll update when I know the necropsy results. We found 2 hard tumor like lumps.

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh no :( rip Casanova.

11. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

Awe, :( RIP.

12. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Well no tumors so that is a good thing(I have 14 babies he sired, with 6 more eggs cooking)

His liver and heart both where enlarged, lungs and intestines good. He had a huge amount of fat deposits from the start of his stomach to his intestines. We think those where what we felt and likely the cause of his regurging. His stomach was also quite hard, nothing was inside it though.
    I don't know how his care was before I got him, he was huge for a male, larger then most of my females. So I have a feeling he was over fed.

13. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry for your loss. :( At least now you know it was nothing you did or could have done. RIP Casanova.

14. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

So sorry. Sending a hug your way.