This Disappears When Logged In

Not Sure if My Gray Tree Frog is Still Alive

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by stickynote427, Nov 10, 2009.

1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

She's a tree frog, they do hang out at the top under lights, UVB or not ;)

2. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Elite Member

Every herp we own came from stock that was originally wild caught. Grey tree frogs are sold across the country. They're one of my favorite tree frogs. The frog is probably loaded with parasites, so a vet checkup is a good idea. A fecal check will identify which parasites are present, so they can be safely treated before they build up to harmful levels in the captive environment.

If you own other herps, you should not release the tree frog in the spring. For those who think that 'wild animals should remain wild'--too late. The frog would have died if it had been left where it was found, and releasing it after it has been around other herps makes it a potential vector for disease. The risk to wild populations from introduced diseases is not worth releasing one frog. Many states have already passed laws against releasing herps that have been captured and moved from their original capture site.

With the prevalence of the terrible disease chytridiomycosis, a frog should never be released if it has been moved away from where it was caught.

So...do NOT release the frog. Consider it a permanent pet. If you don't feel you can care for it as a permanent pet, locate a herp rescue in your area to give the animal to.

3. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

As I am not going to argue over this, I had come to the conclusion that a release could happen after speaking to my DNR man..
    Yes I do own other reptiles, but they are all in their own enclosure and I am very clean in between dealing with each one, so I guess I don't get where you think that if I have others that they can give her a disease unless you are presuming that my other ones are not vet cared for.
    If I have too, caring for her is no problem.. As a matter of fact she has turned into one of my husbands favorites to observe.. He will even deal with her to where he doesn't the others. I will take into consideration of what you have said.. Thanks for your input!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is not a judgement on you or your husbandry! The concern is that the frog was exposed to a disease or pathogen that is not native to the area. Whether it be from contact or airborn, such cross contaminations are a fact. Should the frog be released back into the ecosystem, it may be carrying something that, while not harmful to the original host species, would decimate the local population, which had never been exposted to them and would have no natural immunity. Its already a fact with chtryd fungus.

5. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Disease introduced airborn, then I would think that she would be showing signs even if it didn't kill her!!
    Like I said.. Will not argue the fact of release when a person I trust to know this species tells me it is possible and Ok to do so!!
    Does not mean we are going too!!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It depends on the length of the gestation period of the pathogen. Some disease and parasites can lay dormant for a considerable length of time waitng for the conditions that allows them to prosper.

7. MyConnie

MyConnie Active Member

Hi, I have been fallowing this thread. Is it this particular frog the carries diseases and pathogens or any wild reptile?

LLoydene, if you found a reptile that your husband likes,great, it's a keeper in my book. I wish my husband would take an interest in a reptile.