This Disappears When Logged In

Not Sure if My Gray Tree Frog is Still Alive

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by stickynote427, Nov 10, 2009.

1. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I inherited my gray tree frog from someone that isn't all that intelligent!! No realy, I mean litteraly!!:D
    She found him outside on top of the dumpster by the back of the store in a frozen state. Thinking it was dead she brought him into the store and put it in the trash. Well what do you know.. About 1 hour later another of the employees saw something moving around in the trash and picked it out. She had come back to life. They put it into a bucket and called me to come get her. Not knowing anything about these guy's I decieded to call and talk to my DNR guy. Because of how these guy's go into hibernation, he didn't feel that it would be good for the frog to be put back into it so soon. When they hibernate they seek coverage under logs, rocks, and even leaves. They produce the glucose that protects their organs and then any other liquid left in their bodies literaly freezes solid. They stay in this state until they leave hibernation.
    So I guess my question here is how is it that this guy is considered in hibernation at all.??
    I beleive also that it is the temps that are affecting it.
    I have a 75 watt bulb on mine and she lay's right under it on the top leaf closest to it during the most of the day. Everyonce in awhile I will see her down on the log. To me this is her thermoregulating.. She is eating real well and has no problem hunting down those mangy little crickets.
    So again I agree, you need to change out those lights or as suggested get them raised up if you can't offer a lighter bulb..:)

2. stickynote427

stickynote427 Member

Well, I haven't had the chance to get some lower-wattage bulbs, but I have had the night bulb on during the night and haven't had any cage lights on during the day.

I'm just curious - I have asked this before, but I would like to try to get an answer again: Do I still need to feed my frog? I don't want her to starve to death. :-/

Thanks!

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Is he still buried? You could try offering food, if he is hungry he will go after it - but make sure that you remove any uneaten crickets (if that is what you are using) out of the tank before you go to bed. Crickets like to nibble on little froggy toes when hungry.

If he is out and moving around, he will most likely want some food, but if he is still buried I doubt he will eat.

Did you ever manage to get a digital thermometer so we can get actual temps?

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Now you have an opposite effect. its getting warm at night and cool during the day. Just use the room lights right now. They would rather have it too cold than too hot.

What are the temps with the night bulb on?

5. stickynote427

stickynote427 Member

@Frognut: Yes, the frog is still buried, and I haven't seen it above the soil since I got it about 6 weeks ago. I think all of my live crickets have died, so I will need to go out and buy some if I still need to feed the frog. Thanks for the tip, too - the woman at the pet store also mentioned that the crickets will sometimes bite frogs.

I haven't managed to get a digital(?! What about one with a dial?) thermometer yet. Sorry. :(

@schlegelbagel: I just turned the frog's night light on right before I read your post, and immediately went back downstairs and turned it off.

Like I think I said before, the temperatures are around 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit while the night bulb is on. However, the stick-on thermometer is difficult to see with the light shining on it, and like someone stated before, the stick-on thermometers can be very inaccurate.

6. schlegelbagel

Time to get to the store and get some supplies. Just head to walmart, you can get everything you need for about $15.

4 pack of 25 watt incandescent bulbs: $2
    Digital thermometer with probe: $13

The stupid dial thermometers at a pet store will still run you about $10 and they are also pretty inaccurate.

7. stickynote427

stickynote427 Member

I got a 2-pack of 25-watt light bulbs; should I have one on at night, or have no light like I have been doing?

Also, I can no longer see the frog; she is not at the bottom of the tank anymore. Do you think she's okay?

8. schlegelbagel

no light at night, light on at the day. If you lowered the temps there is good chance she came out from the dirt and is stuck somewhere in the tank, like to a tree branch or the side of the glass. look around. And be sure to offer a dish of treated water for your frog to soak in.

9. MyConnie

MyConnie Active Member

schlegelbagel; People at petsmart are useless for the most part.

I am one of the useless people that works for petsmart. Keep in mind, not everyone that works at a pet store is an idiot. Some of us really care about the animals and do the best we can to educate people on how to care for their new pets.

I have learned from reading, forums like this, co-workers and most of all customers.

10. schlegelbagel

No, I'm sure there are exceptions to the "idiot" rule at pet stores. The problem is, the non-idiots are few and far between so to a novice, taking advice from a pet store employee is a ****-shoot. As you can see from the wonderful advice he was given, and the advice i ALWAYS hear at the petsmart around the corner from me. Like the day the employee was helping someone set up a turtle habitat, with a 10 gallon tank and no UVB. Lovely.

I know there are workers out there who are good. its just a rarity.

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

schlegelbagel; People at petsmart are useless for the most part.

Liz also stated "for the most part" in her comment, lending to the exceptions... not a blanket statement in my book.

I'm always happy to see people at these types of stores that care and have actual knowledge. It's just not usual, unfortunately - I have attempted to correct and educate store employees numerous times, and I am by far NO EXPERT! If my basic knowledge is beyond the grasp of the employees, it's scary!

People walk into these types of stores expecting the employees to be knowledgeable and take their advice as gospel without doing any further research. I'd rather someone told me that they didn't know the proper care of something than give me bad advice just to make a sale. But I've seen it and heard it too many times. It's just a job to most people, they don't care.

People like you, MyConnie, are the exception - not the rule (and I applaud you for your efforts to be educated!)

12. MyConnie

MyConnie Active Member

Do you say anything to stop the incorrect info to be give?

As for the wrong information give this type of frog is not sold at Petsmart. This person found it in the wild and wanted to keep it as a pet. Why would an employee have any knowledge about that kind of frog. It sounds like the information was more for the frogs they sell. I have been to all the pet shops in may area I do not recall any selling Gray Tree Frogs. Where are they coming from, the wild?

13. MyConnie

MyConnie Active Member

Sorry I tried to put in quotes; It didn't work. I was responding to schlegelbagel in my last post.

Frognut, I agree the employees need to be sure the correct info is give. If I don't know I will get a book and find the answer with the customer. One thing I would say to be sure you get correct information is ask: Do you know about the animal in question, better yet do you have one.
    Before I got my first dragon, the lighting/heat was very confusing. I never thought I would like a reptile until I worked with them.
    Way too many people buy pets as a whim, and how many really listen to what we tell them.
    But I will agree a lot, if not most of the younger ones, are only there for the paycheck not the well fare of the animal. The age of the employee may be a factor. Go to the older lady like me for info, you should have a better chance of getting correct info.;)

Paula

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

A lot of times pet store employees don't let on they are unsure, They just repeat info over and over. Honestly it is a petstore that sells the animal, they aren't made by law to give advice it is up to the owner to find out info.

Coming on here and saying that you should trust the employees completely would lead to many dead critters. its always better to research on your own.

15. MyConnie

MyConnie Active Member

Coming on here and saying that you should trust the employees completely would lead to many dead critters. its always better to research on your own.

16. MyConnie

MyConnie Active Member

stickynote427 I am happy that your frog will be OK. The light needed is very interesting. Good luck with you little frog.

I am sorry my comment struck a nerve and it took the focus away from you and your little buddy.

For those people that still have issue about store employees I started a thread under general discussion.

Paula

17. BronzeDragon

BronzeDragon New Member

Never keep a wild animal. let it go please.

18. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Sometimes there are reasons to keep that wild animal... I have one and it will be let go in the spring, BUT certainly not now!! A gray tree frog that is.. If I was to let mine go now it would die for the simple reason that it is so cold that it would not have the chance to go into hibernation "per say" the way it should. So if I let it go now, it would be certain death!!

I think My Connie is right in the situation that you can't find Grays in a pet store!! Their care is pretty controversial at this time I think as they are Wild Caught.!! It tells you on the internet that they don't need any special light, but I will say this on that subject.. The little one that I have, moves to the light that I give. I provide a 75 watt house bulb and a 18 inch repti-sun UVB tube [through screen].. So my little frog is telling me something here.. Even though I have read that Gray Tree Frogs don't need any kind of special lighting.. My girl has shown me different.. I don't think they have been in the system long enough for anybody to know for sure, so at this point in time, I will rely on what my frog tells me..
    Mine loves her water, loves her log that she can sit high on and goes for the crickets big time.. I have had a fake little tree in the cage and a real plant and guess which one it is that she likes.. REAL..

19. schlegelbagel

Your UVB tube through screen is pretty much useless. Screen with holes less than 1/4 inch filters out almost all UVB from reaching the animal! Trust me, these guys don't need the UVB, although a 2.0 bulb can't hurt.

20. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Yep am very aware that Screen takes away a good percentage of the UVB that passes through and as seeing how most are telling me that she doesn't need it,, then what little is making it through should not be of harm to her. That is why I am doing it. She sure does sit under it alot for not requiring it though..:D