This Disappears When Logged In

Not Eating..

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by rochelle lindsey, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hello, another problem has arisen. My ball now at 18 in. long is refusing food. She had a full and healthy shed on Nov.8 (its now nov.19) and ate that same day after the shed. I fed her a frozen-thawed fuzzy. Since she don't want to eat a week after that meal, I spoke with a friend and we decided to try feeding her live, since she has a such a slow feeding response. We got a live hopper and tired feeding her which was a failure. She was barely interested in the animal and simply wrapped around it loosely and basically dozed off. after that, I thought that maybe the hopper was too big for her, since she is a very petite snake. A few days after the live feeding I decided to go back to frozen thawed fuzzies. She was very interested but didn't eat. It has now been 11 days since her last meal and I fear that this isn't normal behavior for such a young snake. Her enclosure is perfect, she has 60-70% humidity at all times, a 95 degree basking area and 85 degree cool area and two hides in which she moves back and forth from depending on the time of day. She is a very chill, adventurous and quirky snake who likes being handled and has never shown any signs of aggression under any circumstances. She isn't even slightly head-shy. Ive included some pictures for your reference.

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is not unusual behavior with bp's. Mine would stop feeding in November and not eat again til March or April.
    Makes new keepers crazy.

TamJam, rochelle lindsey and Darkbird like this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Do you know the snakes weight? If so, you could just monitor the weight, so long as it is not dropping significantly this is just normal BP behaviour, and as Merlin said, can drive new keepers nuts the first couple times. And actually mine really don't start fasting until late December or January, but it seems that most of the breeders I know in the area have their animals go late. And my personal record with one was 8 months, never even lost 100g on a 1800+ gram snake.

4. what would be a significant weight loss?

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Depends on what the normal weight is of the given snake. As a rough guess, if it was 1500g and was losing more than 100g a month, I'd be looking for other issues. Mostly what your looking for is a continual significant weight loss. I know that's not very specific, but giving specific weight here is a bit of educated guesswork anyway.

rochelle lindsey likes this.