This Disappears When Logged In

Not Eating! Shriveleg Tip of Tail, Flattened Spikes!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by pewdiepie, Oct 19, 2014.

1. pewdiepie

pewdiepie Member

I have had my iguana for a day now and it is not eating. His enclosure is 3'x3' I haven't measured him and I dont know how long he is. There is one heat lamp clipped onto the enclosure (it doesn't produce "long range" heat). We are going to put a humidifier next to his cage and we have 2 long sticks in the cage. We tried feeding him but he wont eat! Also, his spikes are flat and loose and at the end of his tail is some type of stump! Please help! What is going on? By the way we got him off craigslist from someone who had him for 3 months and got him from a reptile store as a return. He is a really friendly iguana.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

If you only had him for a day, you need to give him an acclimation period of 1-2 months with no handling or anything besides daily cage maintenance and feeding.... He may not eat I front of you so I would put his cage in a low traffic area where he has little interaction with people..... And what kind of cage are you housing him in? And what are the ambient (not basking) temperature and what is his basking temps and humidity? Get him to a good reptile vet and get him a check up......

3. pewdiepie

pewdiepie Member

he has been handled. it is not a glass cage so it doesn't keep heat inside it. I am keeping him in a custom cage with a wood frame and cage material

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

You need a solid wooden box enclosure with a glass front.... And no handling period until he has time to destress

5. pewdiepie

pewdiepie Member

it is a known fact not to put iguanas in glass enclosure. he has had 2 years of handling

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I wasn't saying a full glass enclosure but just a glass front.... They need an enclosure that will hold heat and humidity and to stop it from over heating you use a thermostat...... And he may have two years of handling but he is in a new environment and a new home.... It is a lot of stress on him and wrong environment and rehoming can cause stress and stress will make them refuse food.....

And iguanas are good at hiding illnesses and he may be easy to handle and seem tame but a lot of illnesses can make him lethargic and seem tame to us.... Just a thought...

7. pewdiepie

pewdiepie Member

does too much handling and noise cause stress?

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yes, when your iguana appears to of had to much handling (becoming very flighty or cold) put them back and some even if you give the chance they will go back to thier cages themselves.....

9. pewdiepie

pewdiepie Member

can I put a blanket on the cage to calm him down? some websites say so

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

You can try it but I'd say to get the right appropriate sized enclosure, I honestly am not trying to pick at you but a three ft high cage is not nearly the right size cage for an iguana your size.... It needs to be higher then 3ft.... It needs to be about 6-8 ft as they are arbeal and feel safer higher up... The higher the better... And I've never had any problems with keeping mine in a sealed box enclosure with a glass front.... It's actually recommended to do so as it keeps heat and humidity in.....

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your "known fact" is wrong! You are thinking of chameleons!

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

It would be more correct to say that iguanas should not be housed in fish tanks, for various reasons. But they do need a sealed, or nearly sealed environment to ne healthy in captivity.

13. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

That's what I thought, I've never heard of it being bad for iguanas to me in seal enclosures but actually the exact opposit

14. pewdiepie

pewdiepie Member

thanks, I will think about getting a bigger cage

15. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Not to sound harsh but you can't think about it, you need to do it.... The animal will suffer if not. If you can't provide its needs then you need to rehome him with someone who can.... It's not about what you want, it's about what the animal needs....

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Also too small of a cage can lead to increased aggression. If the animal has no were to go to escape and feels "cornered", it only leaves the option to fight.

17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Hi there. This little guy still alive? Best thing you do if so is get him to a good reptile vet and get a good checkup, for parasites, etc.

Can you post some pictures so we can see what he looks like? The "stump" at the end of his tail that you mention may be a re-growth of his tail that was cut off near the end at some point. He will be a pretty stressed little guy for that and other reasons.

Let us know, please.