This Disappears When Logged In

Not a Bearded Dragon

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Runningmom, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

The lizard I thought I was getting is NOT a Beardie. It is a SAVANNAH Monitor! Lol. My friend didn't know lol. So I suppose I will be contacting a breeder when I want to get a dragon. I am not prepared for a monitor at all. Maybe they are great but I know nothing about them. Except they are big. And I am not ready for that. I have read about them here but not researched.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Wow! It's a good thing you realized it!
    Before you ended up with it!

3. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yeah. Not prepared for a monitor. I would say no to an iguana also. I think they are great but for me not a good pet. :) I know my limits. Lol. Plus with small kids I don't think a lizard that size is good. Beardeds are only 2 ft. Maybe 3? I have read somewhere that some get 3ft. I think 3 ft is plenty. 2ft is perfect. But yeah. I told her I don't know a lot about them and wouldn't feel comfortable saying yes to something I know nothing about.

4. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

LOL Sav's are a totally different ballgame for sure.

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Exactly. I have researched beardeds and I have researched CwD. But not Savs. Lol. A little different

6. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Fortunately there is a breeder nearby. I am hesitant to buy one at Petsmart even though they are so cute and I feel bad for those guys.

7. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

And...I told my husband how big they get and he said NO lol. He said it sounds like it needs its own room. I said yes we would need to buy a bigger house to accommodate the monitor. And I already have a big enough house lol. I showed him pictures of them lol. They are neat but just too big for me. Maybe someday...but not now. They look like they could eat a small child.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s good to hear you aren't taking the monitor because you haven`t done any research on them (and apart from it being largish)!
    They actually average around 3+ feet ToL, the males can touch 4+ so not really big enough to eat a child (even a small one)..... (Unless it`s only the size of an adult mouse, in which case, watch out)! ;)

9. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I know. I was joking. They look like they could but I know they don't:). Yeah I do lots of research. I have been reading on and off about bearded dragons for about 8 years lol. I also want a Chinese water dragon eventually. But since we found a good enclosure to house a bearded dragon I will get one first. But I would not get something I can't handle or haven't read about. Although you all on this forum are really helpful. I just know my limit. And that isn't something I am ready for.

10. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Realize that CWD need a very large enclosure, and are really expensive to keep up. Bearded Dragons are pennies on the dollar compared to a Chinese Water Dragon.

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yep. I realize that as well. Maybe that is part of why I also opted for bearded dragon first. :) and that enclosure was too good to pass up