This Disappears When Logged In

Northern Blue Tongue Skink Care Advice

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by Damnedheart, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Ayyye looks like my girlfriend and i are going to get a bts next! Here's what i know: Omnivores, they can eat a ton of different things including specific cat/dog food, eggs, fruits and veggies. They dont need bugs.
    Aspen is a fine substrate for burrowing. I wanted to mix it in something darker, what do you recommend?
    Uvb lighting 12 hours. Do they need a night time heat lamp?
    A water dish makes enough humidity. They are from australia so dont need high humidity. Cant swim so shouldn't be deep.
    Hot and cold hides like everything else but i hear they get bored so like to have things mixed up. Besides hides what else should i put in the tank for lizardy furniture?
    The tank i wanna put them in is a 90 g i already have.
    If any of the info is incorrect please tell and please comment any extra things i should know.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, dog and cat food are hardly good enough for those animals, it`s mostly just cheap and convenient for the keeper (no matter what they may claim) "bugs" are the better option.
    Whoever said Australia doesn`t get humid at times even in the more arid areas is very mistaken! You need to provide a moderate range, anything between approx. 40 to 50+ is o.k, it may be even higher under the surface if you use a particulate substrate (which I would recommend). If by "mixing up" you mean changing the interior regularly then no, they much prefer to be familiar with the layout. Basking surface temps between approx. 100 to 110f, no lower than approx. 68f in the coolest parts (also during the night).
    Can you tell me the size of the 90g tank in inches or cm (L x W x H)?

3. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

Its a 90 long. 48 x 14 x 24? About

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I looked online, I get 48L x 18W x 24H (inches) which is just about o.k, although more width would have been better, especially for an adult. The height is fine and will allow you to fix the heat/lighting inside if you use a solid top (recommended) because it helps create a "self contained" environment, making it easier to control the conditions.