This Disappears When Logged In

North African Plants

Discussion in 'Desert' started by Komododragon12, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Hey, I'm getting a leopard gecko and wanted to spend time making his/her cage very realistic, so I'm getting plants that are from Northeast Africa/Southwest China. The cage I will be keeping it in will be about a 40 gal. Thanks.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They come from a dry arid type of terrane, I think the best thing would be artificial succulents, grasses!
    Here are some that I have;
    Product Details - Artificial Mini Succulents
    Also for substrate I would suggest using slate,ceramic or porcelain tiles, they hold the heat well and are easy to wipe clean and no risk of impaction.

3. Komododragon12

Thanks! Would live succulents be okay? I've had experience with plants, and want to make this really naturalistic.

4. mld

I had live succulents with my sand gecko, but it was hard to keep them alive, plus if you feed crickets they will hide in the soil. Fake works great, no watering and they do make ones that look so real.

5. Komododragon12

Ok, and I plan on feeding mainly mealworms and calciworms (your suggestion in my other thread).

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Leopard geckos require low humidity. Unless you are very careful most of the plants you put in a leo terrarium will raise the humidity too high. You can do something naturalistic and neat looking with rocks and tiles that the gecko will appreciate much more than live plants. If you are so set on having a terrarium full of live plants maybe you should have two set up, one for an animal, one for plants.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Another problem is light. Most desert plants require high light levels to thrive.

8. Komododragon12

Ok I'm thinking of just getting some plastic plants. Do you have any suggestions on were to find some good, realistic fake plants that are cheap?

9. mld

Do you have a Home Sense/Winners, Michael's, Walmart, dollar stores, I got mine at Pier one Imports!
    I'm sure that you will have a greater number of places to find them then I would!

10. Komododragon12

I hear the dollar store has some good ones... I'll check it out! Thanks for all your help everybodies!