This Disappears When Logged In

No Shed in a Year, Yet is Eating Fine...

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by thead11, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Is it possible for a snake to eat regurally for almost a year, yet not shed??
    Our baby that was born May 1st of last year has not shed since her first initial shed. Is something wrong with her? She eats well, and seems to have no problems. I don't think we are doing anything wrong as the other snakes are shedding fine.
    This is the one remaining baby that we have from that litter. Her other siblings all died from either complications days after birth, or of intestinal defects within weeks. Is there such a thing as a snake just not growing even though they are eating? That sounds strange to me, but this little girl has got me puzzled.

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks,
    Tessa

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

is your snake growing? or is she still small for a yearling?

3. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

maybe a little. but how is it possible for her to grow and not shed?? but she is still small for her age, I think. I'm not sure how big a yearling should be.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I do not know Boas but that really sounds funny to me. All reptiles shed and if they don't shed it means something is wrong. :(

Why don't you take him to a vet just to get peace of mind?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Reptiles like snakes and lizards grow the most in the first few years, and so will shed most often at this time. If the snake is growing ,but not shedding, there may be an underlying problem, the vet. is the best bet; is the snake kept separate from the others? If so, check temps. and humidity levels.
    P.S. There`s no size that a yearling " should be"! Just down to the individual animal, also ammount of food, temps. etc..

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you feeding her big enough prey? How often are you feeding? My snakes always shed after a good-sized meal, but if I feed them smaller rats, the sheds are much further apart.
    The food item should be as big as the widest part of the snake or a bit bigger.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not shedding once in an entire year is the strangest thing I have heard of, particularly for a youngster!
    Is it possible that there is someone else in your home that is removing sheds to mess with your mind?

8. snake77

snake77 Member

after one year she should have at least doubled in size. I would take it to a reputable vet as well. what, and size, and often are you feeding her?

9. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

we've just moved her up to adult mice. and no merlin no one is removing the sheds. I did just look at her and her eyes appear to be turning blue!!! my boyfriend says that he thinks that she has shed one other time.
    I don't know what a vet would do. draw blood?? she's defecating fine after meals and acts and looks healthy. has anyone ever heard of a snake just not growing much? can they be stunted or just be small like people?? her humidity is fine, and is working for other boa yearling. we feed her once a week. is it possible that she's not absorbing the right amount of nutrients and its all going to "waste"?

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

what are the temps and the humidity exactly?

11. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

I've had my Luci for about 2 months, she's very young but is about to start her 2nd shed. She is also growing EXTREMELY fast! On the other hand I have a friend with a ball python that is over 3 years old and still smaller then Luci(a common/redtail) I'll ask her about the sheds on her ball python and post again...Actually I'll make her register here! She's a big reptile owner!

UPDATE: Just talked to her and her ball python shed almost bi-monthly in the first year and now sheds once every couple months...Are you sure you aren't underfeeding?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.