This Disappears When Logged In

No Dumb Questions

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by JIQRP, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JIQRP

    JIQRP Active Member

    Recently I had a customer ask me about the genetics of a Spider Ball Python. He was told they were a Co-Dominate vs Dominate. And even though I generally feel that most reptile owners know a little bit about genetics and would be able to answer this question themselves, I suddenly remembered that we all have to start out some where with our adventures with reptiles and that there are no dumb questions ever ask. So I do realize that 90-95% of you in this forum know the answer to this question, I have posted the answer for the other 10-5% that may not know the answer.:)



    The original Spider was a imported Ball python, N.E.R.D ( Kevin McCurley) produced the first babies in 1999. They were proven to be a Dominate trait unlike the Pastels that are Co Dominate which produces a Super when two are breed together(Super Pastel-Dominate). A Super(Dominate) breed to a normal Ball Python will produce all visible Heterozygous(Co Dominate) animals. Co Dominate genes are generally the same as a simple recessive genes except that Heterozygous animals of Co-Dominate breeding to a normal ball python are visible(Phenotype) different than recessive ball pythons(Homozygous) breed to a normals ball python which would produce all normal looking babies(Phenotype), but have the genetic make up(Genotype) of that recessive ball python. I hope this answers your question about the Spider.
     
  2. BlackJack

    BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

    Thanks for the answer. I've never bothered to research the genetics of BP morphs, so I would include myself in the 5-10% that didn't have the answer on the top of my tongue. ;)
    You can learn something new everyday on HC! :)
     
  3. titus

    titus Elite Member Premium Member

    Great explaination and background. Ball python genetics are a bit more complicated to most. For me it fairs just under mouse morph genetics. Most everyone understands simple recessive traits but get a bit lost with dominate and codominate. As well a codominate traits that require a different gene in the same alle to become apparent (as in montly cornsnakes the genotype can be made of Montly/montly or montly/striped on the alle though the phenotype is montly for both).
     
  4. venus

    venus Founding Member

    Have to learn somewhere. Thanks for the explanation.
     
  5. JIQRP

    JIQRP Active Member

    You are so right!!!
     
  6. mshrmheadcharge

    mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

    Awesome explanation, thanks! Genetics can be a bit confusing
     
  7. raechael

    raechael Elite Member

    Thanks for that explanation. I was definitely in the group that had no idea about genetics. For me it is still, "oooohhh..that one's pretty and healthy and friendly,....I want that one!" lol
     
  8. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Me too!:D
     
  9. JIQRP

    JIQRP Active Member

    I still get overwhelmed over great looking morphs even though I know the genetics makeup behind that type of morph. :)
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page