This Disappears When Logged In

Nighttime Temperature Question

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Rainbow, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

my uro is just a baby, still just about 4 ins long or so. I have read slightly varying information so I'm asking here for another opinion, about nighttime temperature. My uro goes to bed about 6pm, and I turn the lights in the tank off about 9. When I get up in the morning, 6am, it's 68 in the cage and the slate he is sleeping under is cold and he is cold as well. This bothers me! Is this ok? I've read that it's ok for nighttime temps to get down to 65. Also, he doesn't come out or "wake up" until about 9-10am. So I hate the idea of him laying there all those hours "cold". Please let me know if I should be doing anything different.
    Daytime temps are about 117 on basking spot and about 85 on cool side. I've only had him since Tuesday morning.

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can always use a heat pad under the cool end of the enclosure and bump up the temp a little. I used to use night time temps of 72Fah for younguns.
    Babies can be a little more fragile and susceptible to respiratory illnesses so I would try to keep around 72Fah until older.

3. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Ok, what kind of heating pad would I look for exactly? Thank you

4. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Any type will do so long as you use a rheostat. If your daytime temps are ok then it won't take much to supplement the nighttime temp I would think. I've always kept my nighttime temp around 72-74 and haven't had an issue. 60's would not be possible in the room I think.