This Disappears When Logged In

Night temp drop for fed snakes?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by smallgrayfox, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

If your snake has just eaten, what's the lowest you should allow the temp to drop at night? For several days after feeding I've been keeping night temps the same as the day temps out of fear of their digestion being hampered by a drop at night. For the corns after they've eaten, the hot side stays between 80 - 85, and for the Children's python it remains between 90 - 95. In the wild though, temps drop at night without regard to the digestion of snakes, so I was wondering if maybe I should drop them some to mimic the natural environment even though they've eaten. Any advice? :)

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I just leave mine on their normal cycle, which varies by snake. As you said in the wild nature rules the temps.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I too just eave mine on the normal cycle. With a proper thermal gradient they can choose their own temps.
    Yes but that is also why so many snakes get run over on paved roads at night. They are on the pavement seeking heat.

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I never thought of that! Poor snakes! :(

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I have a constant temp gradient at night. During the day it's just a bit warmer on the warm side because of the spot lamp. My snakes always have a choice of how warm they want it.
    I'm going to change the inside furniture a bit, so that they also have a hiding place in a medium-warm spot too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.