This Disappears When Logged In

Nicest Nile monitor ever?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dudeamis, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

My local pet store got a nile in a month or so back, he's small maybe 8ish inches total. The weird thing is he is a complete sweetheart. He climbs on your shoulder and willingly hangs out, will sit on your hand without an issue and has no problems with being removed from his enclosure, never whipping, running or anything. He is really beautiful too and shows no sign of disease or anything that would make him slow in the head. Is it normal for baby Niles to be that content, do they grow up mean?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

All the baby Niles Ive dealt with have been a bit mean at first but always calm down with regualr handeling. Ive never been around a full grown one, but Id assume it realizes its alot bigger and can actually do some damage lol.

3. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

This one isn't just calm it seems to like the handling. Its even nicer than my younger cwd who hates being put back down.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've never known anyone who had a tame adult.But I have seen some around that size that were handleable. Not as tame as you are describing however.:)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would be cautious. An animal that displays unusually docile behavior for the species may in fact be ill.

6. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Yeah thats what I was worried about, but it's rather energetic and eats fine (watching it tear into the pinkie they fed it the other day was awesome). From what I've read it seems a little small for a nile hatchling that is at least a month or two old now. I'll go over there and give him a measure if I feel up to it after work... soo tired, should've napped.

7. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

I was wondering if it might be sick too. From your description it sounds like it's doing pretty good ... wait and see what the measurements are of course. If you get it make sure you take it to a vet for a check up and have it's stool tested for parasites just to make sure it really is healthy.

8. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Its 8in long with a 4in tail is that small for a Nile hatchling at least 1-2mo old?

9. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

So WHERE are the pics!!!

Steve

10. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

In my imaginary digital camera. Maybe I'll steal my mom's over the weekend, maybe, but I expect grovelling. If I do I'll probally get the rest of my "family" on the web too.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

We will be looking forward to it :D

12. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Okay if Natalie is working there I'll get some pics, because then I'll get two cuties for one click... wow I'm a dirty old man.

13. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I too was thinking maybe sick, but if it's healthy than that's awesome. Oh, and I agree too on the pics, we need them to survive.:rolleyes::D

14. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Well don't hold your breath, even though I'm going to take the pics today, my computer's vid card is jacked up so I won't be able to post until I get to work on Monday 12am PST.

15. Perniscious

Perniscious New Member

Careful with these...

My Nile (now 2 years old, got him as an 10"er) started out friendly as could be. Hed sit on my arm, wander back and forth from shoulder to shoulder, and search for mice in my hair. He never seemed to have any desire to do anything short of sitting on your shoulder and watching tv.

Then, one day, he jumped off my shoulder and ran behind the couch. I picked him up, no problem, and put him on my shoulder again. Again, he jumped off.

Hes never stayed on my (or anyones) shoulder for more than a half second since then. Infact, these days hes a viscious lil bugger, tail-whipping, puffing up and hissing if you enter his enclosure. I handle him with electricians gloves when its a must and even then, when those jaws clamp down, it hurts.

Just dont think that an animal is going to act the way it does as a juvenile for the rest of its life.

16. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I have only ever seen one adult nile monitor that allows handling, and it is more of a toleration than allowance. He knows he only gets out if he sits still and goes with it, and knows he only gets fed if he allows himself to be put back. handling is short, and he seems alright, but if you take too long or you try to pet him before feeding, you get bit pretty good.

17. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

After 11 years of being socialized my Nile (Ornate Nile, actually) grew up to be a really gentle giant. I would encourage you to raise yours with lots of regular handling and only prekilled food and maybe one day he will play with people and cats and dogs like "Larry" is here: .: ForgottenFriend.org - Reptile Sanctuary :.

18. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Wow, really? You have a nice adult nile monitor? They do exist! ;)

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yeah but just like leprechauns you don't see them very often! ;)
    Most of them would be more than happy to eat your face!:eek:
    The niles that is.

20. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

Yep they are real. Here is a slide show from when we took Larry to the local pet store to get fitted for a harnass. It is the old fashion type pet store run by two sisters who love animals so they had a few cats and dogs loose in the store and they were more than happy to snuggle up with Larry.

.: ForgottenFriend.org - Reptile Sanctuary :. (and scroll down)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.