This Disappears When Logged In

Ng Frilled Dragon - Question Time!

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Slypheed, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Slypheed

Slypheed New Member

Hello! Have some questions, sorry about the wall o text:

Some info:

Things I have not done:
    1. Had a vet take a look at them.
    2. Try to force feed.
    3. Bath.
    4. Handle (unless 100% needed, like to change water)
    Me: First time reptile owner. Yes I know Frilled Dragon may not be the best choice, but that is why I am making this post. Usually up at 6am - home at 5-6pm planned to do feeding and misting then.

Frilled: ~7-8 Months Old NG Frilled Neck. Brought them home 7 days ago. 6-7 inches from nose to vent.
    Enclosure: 24Wx26Hx14D (Inches) - ~33 Gallon Glass tank with enforced screen top. (Temp while growing - plan is to build a custom setup minimum 36Wx48Hx24D)
    Lighting: one 14 inch T5 ReptiSun Bulb. (14 Hour Cycle)
    Heating: 150 Watt Ceramic Heat Emitter.
    Fixtures and Layout: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    • I have it covered on 3 sides by a blanket to help with stress / insulation.
    Temperatures:
    Day: 78 - 90
    Night: 70 - 85
    Basking: 100-110

Humidity:
    Area - stays about 60-80% where I live
    Enclosure - 60% most of the time, up to 70 - 80% when misted for about 3 hours (Misted twice daily)

Food:
    Has been offered King Mealworms, Waxworms, and Crickets via feeding tongs - has not yet eaten. (Same diet and feeding method as the shop I got them from to help ease stress)

Concerns/Questions:
    1. While I have seen them drink - they have shown no interest in food. They have gone to the restroom 4 times since being brought home. Last time I saw them go to the restroom there was only a very small urate. (white part) I have also tried to do the "drop on the tip of the nose" trick to get them to eat/drink. No luck. How long before I need to be concerned?

2. While no foot traffic or other movement is visible - they will jump at the door, down to the bottom and glass surf for 1-2 minutes. Then head back to the basking area and do it all over again in cycles of about 10-20 minutes. Normal?

3. Slightly worried that they may be a bit dehydrated. (See pictures in link above) Are their eyes sunken at all? They didn't seem to be too bad though.

4. Is there anything I should be doing differently? Covering the front? Force Feeding? Weekly Baths? I do not have a poo sample so taking that to the vet is kinda out of the question.

Thanks for any advice!

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I might start with swapping the analog/ glass gauges for digital with probes. They have some nice combination meters on amazon for 10 bucks. I'm not familiar with the requirements for heat and moisture but they will give you a much more accurate reading to see what your working with. Perhaps a short period of minimal intrusion will help them relax? This can be seen often with new animals.

3. Slypheed

Slypheed New Member

Thank you. The glass gauges were for calibrating, they are not in the tank currently. I use a digital thermostat to control the heat and a digital IR temperature reader to spot check. The humidity would be something I could invest in though.

Today was the one of the first in a week where they had about 8 hours of no movement while I was at work. (aside a cat which doesn't jump up on anything)

Before work I misted and then set 4 King Mealworms in a container. When I got home they were all gone. So I see 2 options:

1. While they were glass surfing or tired and resting in the container they were in, the worms climbed up the lizard and out of the container and are now just in there. I have kept worms in this container before for 5+ hours without 1 getting out.
    OR
    2. They ate them. Which I will know if I start seeing fecal matter + urates again. I am hoping that he is eating. I'll do the same tomorrow and see.

Let me know if you are anyone else has additional advice! Thank you again!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, firstly it`s not recommended to keep two together, there will undoubtably be domination issues at some point, possibly resulting in serious injuries. The CHE is not acceptable as a basking bulb because it directs the heat all around rather than downwards, it will also dry out the air. It will be virtually impossible to create a suitable temp and humidity gradient in such a tiny space, more especially with the screen top. You need to improve the conditions asap or their health will suffer greatly even though it may not be obvious outwardly.

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Hi! I must say you are doing much better than I did with my first reptile. But as mentioned the space could be larger, and you might notice them jumping at the glass alot less with a larger, more comfortable space.
    The humidity needs to remain stable for them to be comfortable, I recommend covering up your screen top with something.
    While it's great you cover the sides, with a blanket it may increase your chances of fire because its so close to a heat source. I love CHE's for certain things but like was mentioned earlier probably isnt appropriate for a frilled dragon. It creates a large donut shaped hotspot with a cool center when used with a standard reflector. a spot bulb would be best!

6. Slypheed

Slypheed New Member

Sorry for the confusion - there is only a single frilled. I don't know the sex.

I'll put other explanations and questions below.

Thank you!

While I agree the space should be larger - the plan is to build a custom melamine enclosure in the future. How far in the future is up for debate. I have heard I don't want to put them in a full sized enclosure just yet in order to not give them too much room at this size.

I have already covered the top of the screen 99% (Small gaps here and there)
    As far as fire hazard - I have taken the appropriate steps to be safe. Thank you for the concern!

Questions

1. If a CHE is no good - how should I control the night time temps? The house gets to ~70 degrees F at night and I don't have room to put another bulb on the enclosure.

2. If space is an issue - is putting a small Frilled dragon into a full-sized enclosure going to be alright?

3. @murrindindi - "Improve Conditions ASAP" I need more specifics please. What conditions do I need to improve and how would I go about doing it? Based on what I have read I am on the right track as far as temperature and humidity seems to be alright at around %60 for a few hours with spikes up to 75-80% for a few hours after misting. I am totally willing and able to do what is needed and best for the little guy. If that means I am not fully equipped or prepared to keep them - so be it.

I did see fecal matter and urate today when I got home so he ate something. Though nothing today.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is no problem putting the lizard in an adult sized cage. The trick is having enough cover so it feels secure.
    An don't use melamine. It's heavy and being basically glue and sawdust if the coating is scratched so moisture can get inside it will turn to mush. Use plywood and seal it.

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

For night time heating I recommend IR bulbs, you can use those daytime too, but if you want temps to drop sufficiently at night and have high enough temps during the day you will need a dimmer if you want to use the same lamp.