This Disappears When Logged In

Newt's release

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by BlackJack, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi everyone
    Thanks for all the advice, help and comments on my recent Alpine newt rescue.
    The weather warmed up to over 60 F today and should stay that way for the next few days, so we thought it would be better to release "Newt" and give her time to find a good winter place to hibernate.
    I just didn't feel confident enough to be able to keep her alive through the winter.
    We went up to the forest and found a great place for her to be released. Here are the pics. :)
    Release site:
    [​IMG]
    Me, climbing down to the creek on my backside; it was steep and slippery(ps -- bad hair day):
    [​IMG]
    Bye "Newt"!
    [​IMG]

2. BlackJack

More pics

Checking out her new home:
    [​IMG]
    Heading off:
    [​IMG]
    This looks like a good spot:
    [​IMG]
    Last pic:
    [​IMG]

Farewell, little "Newt". I hope you have a long, happy, productive newt-life!
    Sniff, tear, sniff :)

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Awww...she looked so big when you put her down. lol Good job, I hope she does well over the winter.

4. BlackJack

Thanks Marsha. :)
    I hope she does well too! With the current warm spell, hopefully she'll be OK finding a good hide-out for winter. I made sure she was well away from any foot-traffic, (as well as dusty cellars and spider webs) and close to the water, moss, rocks and dead leaves.
    Either way, she's way better off than she was Thursday morning! I'll take comfort in that and hope I did the right thing.

5. Paige

Paige Elite Member

wow she is so pretty! I love newts =) I hope she lives a long happy life.

6. BlackJack

7. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

That's awesome!

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to see she is safely back in the woods, she had quite the experience.
    Thanks for the pictures too, it really enriches the thread!

9. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

she looks happy to be back home. Great job andrea i didnt know you where a rescuer too. :)

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

great story!

11. BlackJack

Thanks everyone. I'm not technically a "rescuer" in any official capacity. In fact, this was my very first herp rescue! :)
    I greatly admire those who have the energy, faith, (money) and stamina to do real herp rescue.
    I have high hopes that "Newt" will do well, because although the other areas around Switzerland have gotten snow: we've still got it fairly warm. So I think she's had time to scout out a nice winter home and hopefully catch a few worms. Fingers crossed.

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

It sounds like the weather's been nice enough that she'll find a winter home in time. She's probably already got one. Newts can function at much lower temperatures than reptiles it seems. 40-45 degrees F is little problem for them, and that's before they start hibernating.

13. BlackJack

Thanks Matt!
    I feel better now because the weather hasn't dropped below 40F since I released her.
    She seemed to like the woods a lot better than my plastic box. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.