This Disappears When Logged In

Newish Iguana Help Me

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Reaver07, May 21, 2016.

1. Reaver07

Reaver07 Member

Hi I'm pretty new to the hero game. I had a few anoles and geckos and decided to relive my childhood...lol Iggy was her name semi free roaming ig we had in our home when I was young cool little thing....then before we new it a 4" beast of a female that loved daridos and pizza ....(not good) and always lounged around in the window sills. we had her for years she would escape from her huge fish tank no matter what we did .....then she couldn't get back in of course... One Ohio winter the temperature dropped well below freezing we found her nearly frozen solid (it seemed) and black in color, my mother nursed her for four days before passing.

OK back on track (sorry) I recently found a good reptile breeder and picked up a green couple days in a 20 gal high awaiting his current 6' X 6' X 3' home I built in garage (off track again) anyway I think he's male growing very fast and looks pretty healthy... My problem is he's mean ass hell he will either Run or stand tall and bite he's not much for the tail soaping game goes right for the teeth...lol I try daily and he's slightly more tolerable of my presence though ever watchful. Mainly anything other than food dish he's aggressive. Totally fine with me doing anything with his dish as long as its with the dish he will feed while I'm holding it fine with me even holding dish above his head (totally comfortable) but still won't let me near him* to pet or hold or grab...??? Any tips I've watched every video on YouTube or whatever nothing helps.....stumped only time will tell I guess. I love this little ******* regardless...lol named him Frank (haha)

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I may be misunderstanding parts of your post, are you saying you bought a Green Iguana 2 days ago and it`s currently in a 20 gallon fishtank and growing very fast but is still skittish??
    If yes, there is really no way you can keep an Iguana (hatchling) in something that small because it will be virtually impossible to create a suitable temp and humidity range, not to mention an all glass setup obviously means no privacy at all (making it even more stressful for the animal).
    Can you give details of the conditions (ambient and surface temps plus humidity) and how you measure those, also type of heating/lighting.
    Thanks!

3. Reaver07

Reaver07 Member

No when I was a kid we had one in a very large tank . And mine was in a 20 gal for 3 days but he was pretty small. he's been in a 6'x6'x3' enclosure for 2 months and doing great ... He's just a mean bastard

4. Reaver07

Reaver07 Member

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Nice enclosure from what I can see. You haven`t said what the temps and humidity are or the type of heat/UVB bulbs, can you give some details?

6. Reaver07

Reaver07 Member

Top left by his hide stays 90 to 100 ....out to the middle of top shelf where uvb lights are about 85 bottom of cage 80ish and 65% humidity and up depends on when I check the mister is on timer all controllable

7. Reaver07

Reaver07 Member

Oh second shelf left side is 90 ish degrees that's where he poops..lol

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the details, I take it you also have the surface temps at the basking sites and measure them with an IR Temp-gun and use a digital hygrometer?
    I`m not giving you the 3rd degree, it`s always best to clarify these things so other people understand what`s required! ;)

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Keep in mind also that igs are large and aggressively territorial, males even more so I believe. It already recognizes you as the bringer of food, so that's actually a good start. Time, patience, food, more patience, even more patience. Feeding tongs might be helpful, but I wouldn't suggest feeding with bare hands. They have a very powerful bite.

10. Reaver07

Reaver07 Member

Ya I figured take it real slow and in do time he'll come around.