This Disappears When Logged In

Newest Addition!!!

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Kazooguyz2, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

As many of you know, I have recently had an issue with a Kassina maculata (red legged pan frog). That one has since passed. :( However, with lots of great advice and caring thoughts from all members, I returned the deceased and WAITED to get another one. After reconfiguring the tanks, room and the computers, I used the credit given me by the pet store and replaced the deceased 3 weeks later. I put that one in quarantine and patiently waited. And waited. And waited. After consulting my local herp vet (Milwood Vet Clinic in Kalamazoo, MI BTW) ;) I have since given GLAEDR a tank of his own complete with decorations!!! I am keeping all my tree frogs species seperate (thanks for all the great advice!!) and am enjoying them a lot more!! I even managed to get on the good side of my local pet store manager and am getting huge discounts on many things they all need. (cricket dust (marked down to cost of 1.87 from retail of $7.48), moss, accessories, vitamins, lights, crickets (35 med $1)) I think all the frogs are happier. Now if I only knew if I had males or females...... :D (maybe a breeding program in the future???))) I will try posting a few picks of Glaedr for all to see.

Attached Files:

2. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

Sounds like I need to make better friends with my pet store manager!!! Sorry for your loss, but this one looks great! And with a name like that, he must be quite awesome.

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

He looks great :) These guys are great at hiding, but if you ever get the chance you should check out his coloration at night after it's been dark a while. They can become a much paler color, with creams and whites. It looks really different from their daytime darks.

4. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

I have caught him at night in the water dish and he did look a little paler but I thought it was due to the flashlight I was using. Never knew they changed colors!! Thanks for the info. As for Redlocks comment, it's not what you know, it's WHO you know!! The store manager has been a huge help to me getting everything I need(ed). Almost everyone at the store knows me every time I walk in and sometimes they call me when they get stuff in I might like. They are a great crew!!

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I think the color change is involuntary and brought on by darkness. I notice a lot of gecko species turn pale at night as well. Not really sure why, but it makes them neat-looking I guess :p

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That's great, and he looks awesome! :)

8. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

very nice looking frog

9. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

very cool frog, thats the same way i got a job at the petstore im working at now, i was always in there, picking something or another, or even just crickets, i definitly got some good deals though.

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

He looks great, good luck with him and keep us updated on how hes doing :)

11. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats :)

12. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

That's a very cute frog!

13. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Thanks, annababe!! He is getting used to the new surroundings a bit more and being a bit more active even during the day. All my frogs are adapting to captivity (I think most were WC) much better now that they are seperated. An update on the crazy acting green tree, he seems to be acting normally but is favoring his R front leg a bit. Still gets around just fine but not climbing as much as I expected. I can't see anything different from his L front and it doesn't look wierd or swollen/discolored, bent at a strange angle or anything. Who knows??? I'll keep everyone posted. I also have found an 8 minute sound clip of various tree frogs calling. I can't attach the file, but the web address is: Frogs: A Chorus of Colors | American Museum of Natural History It comes from the American Museum of Natural History when they had a HUGE tree frog exhibit. When I play it, most of my frogs either "sit up and take notice" or actually respond by calling back!! How cool is that??!!

14. schlegelbagel

yup, all my frogs respond like that to recordings. Actually how i picked out Philip at the local store. I recorded an internet sound bite to my phone and played it in the shop. All the males answered!

15. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

OMGosh Liz!!!

I never thought of doing that when I was looking for females.............................DOH!

LOL

16. schlegelbagel

I can't take the credit, Shell gave me the idea. I just played the call with the speaker phone on. They answered on about the 3rd playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.