This Disappears When Logged In

newbie just need some answers

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by iggy718, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

A 55 gal. will work fine for the first year. This will give you plenty of time to plan a new one...:D . If you don't mind, here is a questionnaire that is used on a couple of other email groups. It looks intimidating, but it really helps find trouble spots. Some of these questions everyone has already been helping you with, but there are some that haven't been answered. Here it is:

2. Name(s) of your iguana(s)

3. Snout-Vent Length (SVL = nose tip to poop chute) and Snout-Tail Length (STL = nose tip to tail tip) of your
    iguana(s)?

4. Age(s) of your iguana(s)

5. Weight(s) (if known) of your iguana(s)

6. Where and when you got your iguana(s)

7. Heat sources/types? DAY? NIGHT?

8. Temperatures (basking, overall, cool and nighttime)

9. Lights (wattage and brand/type)?

10. What type of UVB (type/brand/length)?

11. How Far above your iguana is your UVB source?

12. What kind of substrate you use?(that's the stuff on the floor of
    your cage)

13. What type and size of enclosure you use?

14. What does your iguana eat (diet)Please list specific foods?

15. Humidity?

16. Have you taken your ig to the Vet yet?(if yes, why and what were
    the results?)

17. What other pets do you have?

18. Have you owned iguanas before? If yes, where are they now? why?
    We know you're new at this...so don't answer...

19. If you own multiple iguanas, are they housed separately?

20. Your age: if under 21 exact age please over 21? Y/N

21: Where are you located? State/Country

2. Mark

Mark Elite Member

You turned the life of this thing upside down in the last 4 days. Iguanas are creatures of habit and usually DO NOT LIKE CHANGE.

Anyway those wood chips are going to hind and absorb a lot of it so you may not notice it.

Don't be in a rush to want to clean up after these things there will be plenty of that over the next 15 or so years of keeping this lizard.

3. iggy718

iggy718 Active Member

ohhhh i got one more question lol sorry guy im new but i must say all of you are the best......when i try to pick him up he starts going crazy even sometime wipps me with his tale what should i do to keep him calm?

4. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Right now you look like you are about to eat him, that is from his view. Iguana's are at the base of the food chain, well more of the first link which can move.

Once you get that 55 gallon set up and the lizard moved over leave the lizard alone for about a week. Resist the urge to go sticking your hands in more than spot cleaning and to put food / water in. Don't go playing in the tank but do spend time around it.

5. iggy718

iggy718 Active Member

guy i dont understand i put on the iinfrared light about 2 hrs ago and iggy is still up its dark and quiet in the room but he isnt sleeping can someone explain why...and how long do i keep the infared light on b4 i put on the other light?

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Iguanas like a 12 hour cycle. 12 hours of day, 12 hours of night. They get about that year round since they are from near the equator.

Answering that great survey that Prism posted will help us answer all of your questions. You should take a few minutes to answer it as well as you can. That way we can help the two of you out as well as we possibly can.

(Speaking of that survey, do you mind if I use it to help me get all of the facts when people send me that great email that says "My iguana wont leave his hotrock what can I do"? :mad: )

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its probably due to a number of things. It still hasn't settled in to the new lodging and gotten comfortable and you keep going in to check on it. Its afraid you are going to sneak up on it and eat it! Also are there any lights on in the room? I am not a big fan of those reptile night lights. Iguanas have a light sensing organ in the top of their heads called the parietal eye. Any thing that puts out enough light to cast a shadow will disturb them.

8. iggy718

iggy718 Active Member

ok guys iggy went to sleep fine...today i am going to try to put him in my 55 gallon tank i baught a uvb floresent bulb all i have to do is build the screen for my 55 gallon and i am dobne thank you soo much for your help

9. iggy718

iggy718 Active Member

guys this is iggys new home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Moshpitrockchick

I'm sure he'll be much happier in that 55g until you can make arrangments for his new cage.

I would still STRONGLY advise you to get rid of the bark. Impaction is a terrible way to go, and the vet bills from it can be astronomical.

11. iggy718

iggy718 Active Member

i was told that this natural tree bark is perfectly fine

12. Moshpitrockchick

The iguana doesn't care if it is natural or not, he'll taste test it, get it into his mouth and not be able to spit it out and then it will plug up his intestines and kill him. I'm not being harsh. I'm being honest. I've seen far too many animals die of impaction to not try to warn you of the dangers.

13. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

Sorry but I agree about the bark. Also if you have any branches with bark, I would scrape that bark off.

Someone on another forum said he thought a "natural habitat" was healthier when I had suggested shelves and ramps instead of large branches. I pointed out that parasites and predators swooping down on them was a natural part of their habitat too but I didn't think that that was in any way healthy for them. Besides most captive iguanas have never seen their "natural habitat". :rolleyes: Natural is not always healthy or even desirable.

14. Merlin

They lied!;)
    Let me guess it was the pet store that was selling the stuff that told you that.:mad:

I agree the bark must go! There is no particulate substrate that is safe for iguanas.
    I use a tile floor with sheets of newspaper covering it.

15. iggy718

iggy718 Active Member

it was from the pt store but i didnt buy anything from them and i know the guy and he told me it was fine my whole tank has that its a mission to take all of it out

16. Merlin

He is mistaken! And its a mission well worth doing.
    Your iguanas life depends on it.

17. edge flyer

edge flyer Active Member

Really .. you must clean out the tree bark...

18. petsareusrescue

petsareusrescue Elite Member

iggy bedding

We do not recommend bark either we use shredded aspen or paper towels. We have seen too many impactions, removed small pieces from their gums. etc.

19. Merlin

I would not even use aspen shavings. Same problem, they swallow it and it clogs them up.

20. iggy718

iggy718 Active Member

guys do i change the food for iggy everyday even if he didnt finish it?and how big do i cut the pieces

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.