This Disappears When Logged In

New White Tree Frog Viv

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by thetruesmaug, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetruesmaug

thetruesmaug Active Member

Hello all, I'm new here and I just got a pair of wtf yesterday and put together a quick and easy viv for them. I thought I'd share a pic or 2:)
    wtfviv1.jpg

whites02.jpg

whites01.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is that some sort of plastic curtain in the last picture?

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Cute froggie. It almost looks like satin sheers in the background.

4. thetruesmaug

Thats actually curtains,there is a window behind the tank.I have a backround taped to the tank now .

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

What Cuties!

Be careful having it that close to the window. When the sunlight comes in it will be magnified by the glass and could be too hot for the froggies. Even with the sheers there will still be a fair amount of light coming in. Since you put the background up you won't have to worry about it coming in the back, but if you have a screen top it will get to them that way.

6. thetruesmaug

I have a glass and mesh top,it is probably a temp loacation as well.my wife wants to take it to her classroom this year.Thanks.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You need to add some plants ASAP. They need hiding places and cover. A simple solution is to go to Lowes or home depot and pick up a pothos plant. Its one of their favorite plants to hang out in. Be sure to rinse it out VERY well, to make sure all chemicals are rinsed away.

Fake plants are OK too.

And ditch that "reptile" moss. Its something very easy for them to swallow and it will stop up their intestines.

8. thetruesmaug

I added the moss to keep them from swallowing so much ecodirt when they hunt crickets, they get a huge mouthful of that every time they catch one.That won't hurt them? Also,what else can I add to hold humidity if not the moss? There is also a huge amount of hiding space behind the grapevine and they choose to hang on the glass, I've never noticed wtf being that much of a hider or a plant lover,everyone I know that has them uses branches. I also do not have the light or the room for a plant in there.Thanks for your advise though.

9. schlegelbagel

If the eco-earth gets swallowed that's OK. Make sure to pack it down well. Well packed down eco-earth will both hold in the humidity and keep them from swallowing stuff. Also, a plant will keep the humidity up greatly. I have no moss in my tank, but lots of plants. They both hang out in the plant and the humidity is a constant 65%. That moss is not-digestible and can twist up their intestines. At least the eco-earth breaks down and poops out.

Your frog needs more hiding places. It needs it to feel more secure. Yes they will hang out in the branches when they are awake, but they prefer to sleep tucked up under a plant. I have 6 of them in a 90 gallon and I can hardly find any of them during the day, they are all hidden away. Plants come in all different sizes. I'm sure you can find a plant to fit. Once you have a plant, they will no longer hang out on the glass. They hang all wedged up in the corner because they really don't have any other secure feeling place. Houseplants only need a regular bulb. They will do just fine with that. I always suggest pothos, because it can stand up to the crawling and weight of WTFs.

To keep in additional humidity, cover up whatever part doesn't have a light/heating element with plastic. This will keep your humidity up without the moss.

Here is a photo of my old 29 gallon tank to help you with ideas.

[​IMG]

And here is my current 90 gallon.
    [​IMG]

10. fire2225ems

They would be much happier with plants. And as Liz says they will help keep your humidity up.

Do you not have a light to go with the tank? If you get indoor plants that should be enough light for them.

If you really don't want to work with live, then go to the nearest Michaels or Joann's and pick up some fake ivy. Something green to look pretty and let them feel more comfortable.

They are called TREE frogs for a reason...

I would also get a better temp/humidity gauge.Those little stick on ones are not accurate at all! If you hit up a Lowes or Home Depot you can get a digital one for much cheaper than you would find at the pet store.

11. venus

venus Founding Member

As mentioned above, it's way to bare and they need a security spot for hiding and the plants will do that for them.

12. thetruesmaug

Thanks for the info, I'll get some plastic plants for them. This tank really can't be planted it's going to a classroom eventually.

13. fire2225ems

Out of curiosity. What about live plants would be contraindicated by it going to a class room?

14. schlegelbagel

Yeah, I don't get that either, but at least you will pick up some fake plants. :)

15. thetruesmaug

The tank will be going to my wifes class room where the lights may not be able to be on for a few days at a time. I am a very experienced plant keeper in aquariums and vivariums and I know that they will simply not do well. The viv will also have to be easily cleaned and the best way to do that is to make the substrate disposable, having plants in it would not be conducive to easy clean out. Fake plants are a great idea for this project, thank you all for the help.

16. fire2225ems

Ok, not trying to give you a hard time about the plants, just was wondering what would keep you from being able to have them.

However I am slightly concerned about the fact that you are saying that the FROGS wouldn't have any lights over weekends and non-school days. They will NEED a regular schedule, EVERYDAY. Your best bet to be able to ensure this is to put the light on a timer.

17. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I agree here, A lamp timer from home depot goes for between $6-$9. Well worth the investment.

18. schlegelbagel

Yes, your frogs will need access to light on a 12 on, 12 off schedule every day. Pick up a simple timer and plug in the lights to that. You'll never have to worry about them again. :)

19. thetruesmaug

Will do,for the frogs. :) No plants though, I did put a plastic aquarium plant in for them today,they haven't used it yet.

20. thetruesmaug

They discovered the fake plants during feeding. whites07.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.