This Disappears When Logged In

New Water Dragon Owner, Wondering If My Baby Is Healthy And Okay

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Neatkii-B, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Neatkii-B

Neatkii-B New Member

Hi! I have had my little water dragon, Mira, for about 6 weeks now. I feel like he is a boy but it is way too early to tell for sure. His humidity is anywhere from 75-90 during the day, and 65-80 during the night time. The cooler end of the terrarium is 76 or so, with a warm end of 81 and a basking of probably 90 or so. Maybe warmer. I've noticed he doesn't eat a ton, and his poop looks a little weird. His colors are okay but he seems a bit skinny to me, but i'm also use to chubby looking bearded dragons! his eyes are often closed when he is in the terrarium, or if he has his eyes open, it's only one eye. His poop is also a grayish color and has somewhat of a mucus looking coat around it. He is active when I get him out, he runs around and seems alert, but if he is on me he closes his eyes, and in his terrarium his eyes are almost always closed. If I get him out for a bit, he doesn't want to go back in his terrarium, he will climb right back up my arm when I go to set him in there. I was just worried cause it's my first water dragon and I want to make sure he isn't sick. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how are you measuring the basking surface temp and can you give details of the type and wattage of the heat/lighting? Unless you cover the screen as completely as possible you will never be able to stabilise the conditions (kitchen foil will work temporarily). Forced handling will cause much stress.

3. Morbid Monkee

Morbid Monkee New Member

What are you feeding it? Are you using supplements and if so what kind? Do you have reptibulb 5.0 or equivelant for lighting? I would also suggest venting the cage, moisture is good but thats what pools are for too, too much moisture can make things stagnant, molds can grow as well.

4. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

He is very small for handling. The body temperature probably drops quickly out of the tank. I worry about the lethargic behavior. I wouldnt project on it climbing your arm. We want to think they are active because they have so much fun but it could be distress. We want to think "it wants to stay with me" but it could be "im going down, am I falling? I should climb up". Ever heard of the plight of the slow lorise? Everyone thought it raised its arm because it liked tickling but thats actually their defensive posture to expose vemon. Once the eating and weight are going there will be plenty of time for handling and taming