This Disappears When Logged In

New Veiled Cham!!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by biollantefan54, Sep 3, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I also say this. A bearded dragon is much better about being tame and really enjoy feeling the warmth of your hand. They are good about handling and super chill reptiles. Also, they live longer than chameleons!

You get a chameleon because it's beautiful, not because you want to make it handleable. That's like getting a dog because you want to teach it to purr: dogs are great at being dogs, but they aren't cats. Chameleons are great at being chameleons--beautiful, exotic, impressive animals..but they aren't handleable!

The most important thing to a chameleon is not being seen--be it during hunting or hiding. They have that ability to sit so still, or imitate the leaves. Their camouflage is excellent. They even catch bugs in perfect stillness from afar. Forcing it to be handled breaks through all of that evolution and it's unnatural. Just makes him think he's about to die and get eaten!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats where you get in trouble. Just because someone works somewhere doesn't mean that they know everything. Just because you have a job cleaning the floor at a garage, it doesn't mean that you know squat about repairing an engine!

Unfortunately petshops are often the very worst places to get your advise. I can walk into most of the petshops in town and within minutes hear people spouting total nonsense that tells me that they have not only never kept this type of animal, but they have no idea what they are talking about!

They are trying to sell you something and some of them will tell you anything to make a sale!
    You are chosing to take the advise of someone who's aim is to sell you something over information coming to you from sources and people who have no vested interest in parting you with your money? And who want you to SUCCEED!
    C'mon man THINK!
    And again,..you have are basing this observation on what experience?

There are tons of videos showing species being handled that are not known for being handled. What you don't understand is that those animals are often docile because they are almost dead from improper care. I can show you videos of all sorts of things that are not what they are portrayed to be.
    I understand how difficult it is to get your heart set on something and then to be told that it doesn't work that way.
    But sometimes it is just the way it is.
    You object to being looked down at because of your age. Show that you are mature by looking at things the way they really are not just how you want them to be.

Veileds are really neat animals but you HAVE to work with them based on what they are, not what you wish them to be.
    Anything less is setting yourself up for failure.

And what is more important? Trying to fulfill your fantasy idea of how you want things to be? And having the animal die.
    Or having a beautiful healthy animal (that is known for being a bit difficult) that thrives and lives out its life, enabling you to say "See! I was NOT too young!"
    Because I was mature enough and listened to people that actually did know what they were talking about and wanted to help me.

Its your call. What do YOU want to look like?

3. justor

justor Elite Member

It would of course be a great learning experience for you, but it could be so in more than one way. You could do everything right and learn what it takes to keep a chameleon. Or you can do it wrong and learn how to kill one. And from what I've heard and researched myself there seems to be a very fine line between the two. Chameleons are not very forgiving to husbandry errors.

The advice you receive on Herp Center is generally much more reliable than anything you will hear in a pet shop. I have never gotten bad information from anyone on this site, and I would definitely take the input you have received seriously if I were you. It appears the consensus is that chameleons are not a good pet for someone who wishes to handle them on a regular basis. You can and will do what you want, but heed that warning... over-handling of chameleons can be deadly. You can't change millions of years of biological success with 5 minute handling sessions.

4. biollantefan54

biollantefan54 Elite Member

Ok, I will do as merlin says and i really dont want to kill it and i really want to have one, I also have the lights and vines and cage so i will still get one but cant i at least hand feed it or have it on my arm so i can take it outside for sun? And by the way thanks merlin! And what kind of reptiles do you own ive been wondering. I really want to thank you for correcting me and i want to say that *see im not to young!*.

I also want to have a reptile place in a basement and raise them and just have them when i grow up like a hobby, And i would like to work at a pet store as a reptile person, And i wont give false info on them!

And why does everyones sig say something like 0.01 iguana or something like that?

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

The numbers are the sexes of the animals! :)

male.female.unknown

so if someone has:

1.4.12 bearded dragons

they have one male, four females, and twelve unsexed animals

6. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

i don't think theres anything wrong with hand feeding, but of course your chameleon will snatch the food with its tongue from a foot away lol. im not sure about the arm climbing thing though. if no one else sees too big a problem with it, just be very careful. play branch and let it climb on you if it wants to. if it doesn't then you should probably leave it be.

7. Merlin

If your cham will do it, you can hand feed. I do it all the time. However by hand feeding I am talking about holding the feeder several inches away and letting the cham hit it with that marvelous spring loaded tongue of theirs! And if the cham voluntarily walks onto your arm that is fine. But don't chase it around the cage trying to get it to do so.
    And taking it out in the sun may be ok and it may not. Chams out in the open are vulnerable to attacks from birds and get quite nervous so I would limit THAT activity. They live in the forest canopy and would never be hanging around out in the open.
    As for my animals, just click on my name and go to my profile.;)

8. ughjames

ughjames Member

Offensive or not, what I said was truthful. She asked and I responded. I don't sugar coat or regard feelings. Too young and far too inexperienced to own a Cham.

9. Merlin

Nor do I. But just blowing someone off by saying "You're too young", doesn't help them to learn.
    You cannot make such blanket statements what you really don't know the individual. Chronological age is irrelevant if the desire is there and they are willing to learn.
    You would not beleive the stuff I was keeping at 12 years old.
    Much to my poor Mother's chagrin!

10. jannb

jannb Member

I think your parent would need to be responsible for all the chameleons needs. I find chameleons to be a very expensive pet to keep. Have a large saving for vet bills.

11. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

yea chameleons are definately not beginner lizards. have you thought about the enclosure and all that too? From what I hear they will not drink standing water, and need to have a drip system or waterfall installed in thier enclosure. And as was stated above, they're not a lizard you want to handle daily.

not tryin to pee in your cheerios, just make sure you're fully prepared and its really what you want to commit to.

12. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

If you want something similar to a chameleon and tha tis a beginner lizard I would get an anole. Granted they are more display lizards and not to hold lizards but they are easy to take care of and will start you on the right path to learn how to take care of more complicated lizards. They are a little similar to chameleons and are actually called the American Chameleon due to their ability to move their eyes independently and change color as a sign of stress.