This Disappears When Logged In

New Veiled Cham!!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by biollantefan54, Sep 3, 2011.

1. biollantefan54

biollantefan54 Elite Member

I am only 12,But i think i can handle it i have read every thing about these chams. I think these animals will be a great experience for me. i will be getting it next wednesday. I know everything there is about them screen cage dusty crickets with calcium and so on. Any tips on them? i will tell about it as i get it and by the way i'm goint to try to handle it 5 minutes a day and so that it will get used to handling. When it turns it's stress colors i will be done for the day. So wish me luck.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. biollantefan54

I am getting it shipped from a pet store. He says if anything is wrong with it he will send it back and wont take it.

4. mld

Where do you live?

5. biollantefan54

Dallas North carolina. Do you think im to young for one?

6. mld

I can't answer that, I know nothing about them! Read through the caresheet and then ask your questions. Its best to do as much research as possible and to have a proper enclosure set up and running prior to even purchasing a reptile of any kind.

Personally I don't think they are a beginner lizard! Not sure how much you know about them, but research is the best thing anyone at any age should do prior to making such a big commitment.
    Why do you want a Chameleon as opposed to another type of lizard?

7. biollantefan54

Well ive read the caresheet went to google posted questions and everything! I want one cause there exotic lizards and a challenge. They would be fun also and would live long.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think that you should do some more reading!
    Chams are not a very handleable pet. Handling it everyday will stress it out and lead to it declining. If you want something to play with you seriously need to look into another species.
    And all in all they don't have a very long lifespan.
    5 years for females and 8 for males is about tops.

9. biollantefan54

the person at the store said veiled chams live 20 years max. And i will just handle it a little at a time so it will get use to me. I'm not handling it to much a day. I will handle it until it gets stressed to much.

10. mld

I would take Merlins advice, he owns a Chameleon and has a lot of experience with reptiles!;)

11. easttxchevygal

easttxchevygal Elite Member

Unfortunately most pet stores will tell you almost anything to make a sell. Merlin knows his stuff I would defiantly take his advice. Chams are pretty delicate and husbandry errors as small. As it may seen can kill them.

12. Merlin

They were misinformed or they flat out lied.
    Do your own research, don't just listen to someone who is trying to sell you something.
    Type in "Veiled Chameleon lifespan" into your search engine and read for your self!

13. ughjames

ughjames Member

Yes, you are far too young to own and property care for a Cham. You should not ever handle them. Not even to "get it use to you. ".

They are not by any means a beginner reptile and you will surely be the decline of a beautiful reptile. Can a breeder even legally sell to a minor?

14. biollantefan54

nevermind.

15. biollantefan54

Ok i think that that is offensive, as long as you know what to do your not to young! People like you really make me mad. I think it will be a great learning experience for me and handling them for 5 min. or less a day will not kill them! They will get that you wont hurt them, they will be fine with you handleing them so please dont say im to young, I know how to raise them ive done tons of reading!

16. Merlin

I agree it is offensive, and unnecessary, to take that atttitude. As long as one has the necessary knowledge and is willing to make the commitment to do things properly age has nothing to do with it.
    As far as I am concerned, its not a matter of you being too young. I have known some very good young herpers.
    But,...
    And you are basing that belief on what? What experience do you have that qualifies you to make such a claim? Other than the fact that that is how you wish it to be.
    The fact of the matter is, you came on here, equipped with bad information and misinformed plans that you intend to follow. And you were told what you intended was in error.
    You do not like the fact that you are being told something other than what you want to hear. That your information and what you intend to do is wrong. You are choosing not to listen to people who have considerably more experience than you do and are telling you that you are making a mistake. THAT is an idication of immaturity and that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age.
    But,....
    If you had done anywhere near the amount of research that you claim to have done, You would have KNOWN that they don't live for 20 years and that they are NOT a pet for handling. That daily handling will NOT teach them anything other then the fact that you are stressing them and high stress will lead to their death.
    To be honest 5 inutes on a search engine would completely shatter these facts that you seem to beleive in.
    I have a veiled and I can tell you that they do NOT appreciate being handled.

17. biollantefan54

well i have done research and i did see how long they lived, but i assumed the info i read was wrong when the person said they live that long because he works at the reptile place and i assumed he new what he was talking about. Now can handeling them a little bit over time make them act more tamer? I saw videos of them and they didnt act stressed or mad or anything and they said they handled them a little bit at a time.

18. biollantefan54

This was what they said they used to tame it a little better VEILED CHAMELEON HANDLING
    GUIDE

1. How old should he be when I first handle him?
    when he/she is 2inches long (body)

2. How long should each handling session be?
    to begin with 5-10 minutes when he/she is small for 2-3 times a day, when she gets bigger you can still do these sessions and can start putting him/her on your shoulder and just let them get use to it- by doin this you can get them use to being carried around on your shoulder around the house

3. How many times a week should I handle him?
    See above....less at first but build up as he gets bigger and more confident with you.

4. I there anyway I could make him like me more? Like hand feeding him etc.
    you could try giving her/him water by hand- get a rodent bottle and squeeze some drips out- they are drawn to the droplets, put a drip on on the sides of the mouth- they may not accept this at first (but would you lol?) keep trying with it they will get the idea and eventually drink from it- Mine does this now.

You can also try to hand feed them with a wax worm held out in the palm of you hand hold the chameleon in the other hand about 10inchs away, wait and be patient- let the waxworm wiggle. The chameleon will be about to strike when both eyes are fixed on it.

19. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

I trust merlin over that anonymous handling guide.

most herps will eventually give up after being force handled enough. it will seem to be "tamed" but really it's just accepting that the predator (you) won and if it submits you put it down eventually.

this often causes many health problems including not wanting to eat or move around and becoming lethargic all the time.

its basically the herp form of depression.

you should look into a bearded dragon who will actually have fun with you instead of just giving up and submitting.

seriously, you seem to have your heart set on having a pet you can handle. get something more friendly, and if you still want a cham later, go for it. but please don't force a wild animal into being a manic- depressed lap dog

20. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

:( even reptile stores get things wrong sometimes. I've been told a lot of ridiculous things about pet stores('snakes want company and you should have many together in a tank', 'reptiles only get as big as the cage they are in', 'mealworms will eat their way through your animal if you don't behead them')

Chameleons are so high stress, i get nervous seeing babies who are on display in reptile expos. I just hope that when yours stops eating from stress you'll see what's wrong..I've seen too many people accidentally kill their pets from bad information :(