This Disappears When Logged In

New To Uros... Got A Niger And Have A Question

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by OrangeFJ, Jul 1, 2017.

1. OrangeFJ

OrangeFJ New Member

So we are new to Uros... and he was not eating much to start with and isstarting to do much better in the last few days...
    He is doing anything we find odd, climbing up on his log Arching his back and looking at the lights, Normal or something wrong??

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Some backgrounds on him would be helpful.
    Where did you get him? How old?
    What do you have for lighting in there?

3. OrangeFJ

OrangeFJ New Member

We got him at a local pet store, not a "big box" type, a family owned place I have been using for 30+ years. We're told he is captive breed, and young?? He is about 8 inches long tip to tip.
    He gets a great farriers of green stuff and some seeds .
    Here are some pics of our equipment.
    His home is 36x18x24 high...
    Oh and he loves to poo on his slate, I clean it every or every other day

Attached Files:

4. OrangeFJ

OrangeFJ New Member

Doing this..... just seems odd?

Attached Files:

5. kriminaal

The only thing I can think off is his lighting is different than he was used to.
    Such as the UV is now stronger or less than it was previously in his habitat. Or the basking bulb isn't as strong.
    What is the surface temp on the slate?

6. OrangeFJ

OrangeFJ New Member

Surface temp is right at 90-100

7. kriminaal

Is that measured with a temp gun?
    Should be 120+F

8. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

You can find some very reasonably priced temp guns online. I got mine on amazon for 10 or possibly less. I recently took in a chuckwalla and the requirements to iris are similar so I made sure to get one for his basking area. I also noticed your bag of vegetable mix for herbivores. Double check the ingredients to the article on here for vegetable nutrition. When I looked at it it had a more than desired amount of certain greens that are less than ideal for regular dietary intake. Only other thought is the calcium. Someone else might elaborate further but with proper uvb you will want to limit the calcium with d3 to a very spread out schedule and maybe focus slightly more frequently on plain calcium. Like I said someone else might correct me on that or confirm. It's just something I keep in mind to prevent d3 over intake. Beat of luck.