This Disappears When Logged In

New To Uro's And Could Use Some Advice.

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by NikNik, Feb 21, 2018.

1. NikNik

NikNik Member

I got NikNik last July at a Reptile show in Pomona from LLL Reptile. I believe I have the temps & gradient right, dig box included (but not ideal). My question is about UVB and if I may have too much? Looking at the picture from left to right (cooler to hotter), the first lamp is 75w heat bulb, the second is a 70w mega ray uvb, the third is a 160w mega ray uvb and the forth is a 150w heat bulb and in front I have a 6.5k uvb tube. The basic gradient is from 75-ish to 125-ish degrees. So my question is, Do I have to much UVB?

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would guess that you might have too much heat, how are you measuring both ambient and basking surface temps?
    Having said that, you will also lose much heat because of the screen top, it would be more beneficial to the lizard if you covered the screen as completely as possible (you can use kitchen foil temporarily) that way you`ll have a "self contained environment" to better control the conditions.
    What substrate are you using, and can you give the enclosure size in cm or inches?
  3. NikNik

NikNik Member

The tank is 4x2x2 and for now i'm just using paper towels for the sub. I measure the temps using a thermo gun.
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think there may be too much heat (wattage) @ almost 400w total, but until the top is covered the conditions will be difficult to stabilise (it`s a quick fix to improve that by covering the screen with kitchen foil) then rechecking the temps.
    How are you measuring the ambient temps and humidity range?
    It`s a decent sized space but the paper towels are quite a poor "substrate" in my opinion.
    Can you give the brand of the UVB tube?
  5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I agree with the above, the screen top is a major issue. Your burning way too many watts for what you need, so covering the screen will be the first priority. Any sort of non-permeable sheeting will do, plastic wrap or sheeting works well also. And you might want to consider making a custom top for the cage as a long term solution.
  6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You should be able to bake cookies in there I bet ;)
    Like said, waste of wattage.
    Also need a humid retreat.
    Darkbird likes this.