This Disappears When Logged In

New to the Forums and Got Some Questions

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by theHIguy, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

I'm getting two geckos on Monday. I already have the tank and coconut fiber is what I'm using. I plan on keeping the bottom inch fairly moist. Great caresheet by the way. =) I just have questions about simple stuff, like how many hides should I use? If I dont use a heating pad what will be another heat source and what kind of light should I be using? Is bleak moss good? That's what I use for my tiger salamander.

Thank you very much.
    Dustin

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

I would use 2 minimum, or 3. I would have one hide on the cool end, and one hide on the warm side, also If you want to give him a moist hide as well for when hes going through shedding and needs to get some extra humidity. How many gallons is the tank you have them in?

Im not sure about the moss, just wait for some of the more experienced folk to chime in.

Also welcome to herpcenter, and congratz on the soon to be new additions.

-Anthony

3. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

the tank i have them in is about 1 1/2 foot by 1 1/2 foot. and if i have the bottom inch of the substrate moist will the heat pad effect it?

4. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

That's a good sized terrarium. Well the glass where the heat pad is should never come in contact with water. So I wouldn't recommend it, I would just keep the areas around the heat pad moist, but that's just my opinion. Wait for some others to explain in better detail of what you should do, before making your decisions.

5. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

thank you for your input i would just like to add these are amazing creatures and ill be asking alot of questions so i can provide the best possible home for them

thanks agian

Dustin

6. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

ive read some care sheets that say they dont need UV light. is this true ? and if they do need a light can anyone suggest a good one? is the heating pad optional? if not what are the hours i should leave it on for

7. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Yes, just like leopard geckos they don't need a uva or uvb light, the best way to heat up a their tank would be an under the tank heater. Also under the tank heaters are never to be turned off, unless your house exceeds 80 degrees.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Get yourself a digital thermometer and take a temp measurement from the warm and cool sides. I have a feeling your tank is going to be too small to get a good heat gradient, but you can try. If you need added heat use a light bulb in a silver dome/shop light. Just change the wattage out until you get it right.

We can't tell you exactly what you will need because ambient temps of the house are all different, tank sizes are different, etc... You will have to play with it until you get it right. This is why its important to get the tank set up before you get the gecko.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Never heard of bleak moss. Do you mean peat moss?

10. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

ok thanks guys my dorm stays around 70-75.. and its called bleaked moss it came in a big package from my local pet store.. if i dont have a uv light will the geckos that weak bone sickness?

11. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

Came to a Simple Conclusion

I'm setting up a 10 Gallon. I am putting a heating pad on bottom, thermometer, 3 hides (1 on the cold side - hot side), and a moist hide. One of the hides will be taller to provide with a higher basking spot. I've just come to a dilemma. What substrate should I use? Cocofiber, sand, or some kind of towel/carpet? Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance
    Dustin

12. schlegelbagel

The safest out there for substrate is something non-particulate, but with an AFT that needs higher humidity, this is often hard to accomplish with something such as paper towels, shelf liner or tiles.

If you can't keep the humidity up using that, then go for coco-fiber. Sand gives terrible impaction problems. You can pack the coco fiber down pretty tight and it even lessens the possibility of the gecko getting mouthfuls.

You need to give your geckos calcium supplement to keep them from getting metabolic bone disease.

And 10 gallons isn't big enough for a pair. You could put one in it though. You will eventually need to upgrade to a 20 gallon long.

13. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

I know I have to upgrade and plan on doing so. I'm going to use paper towels since that sounds like the best thing to do. Although, I might get sick of the look and just might have to use the cocofiber. =)

14. schlegelbagel

You could also get the vinyl sticky tiles from Lowes or home depot. Easy to wipe clean and they come in all sorts of natural looking rock.

15. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

I've also been wondering about the moist hide. What can I put in it to make it moist besides that stuff from the garden stores. Which side should I put it on. The cool , warm or in the middle.

16. schlegelbagel

You can put in paper towels or shredded coco-husk.

17. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

thanks much again im just gonna go ahead and use some calcium sand it says if disgested will cause no harm.... =)

18. Merlin

NO! The packaging LIES!
    That stuff is one of the worst things you can put in a tank!

19. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

Ahhhh thank you just might have saved my 2 females lives.. Iis cage carpet good?

20. Merlin

Carpet is good but if you have to have high humidity(not up on all the AFT care) it will make it difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.