This Disappears When Logged In

New to Snakes Need Help?! Lighting

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by xkwahlx, Sep 22, 2014.

1. xkwahlx

xkwahlx Member

Hey everyone so I got my first snake a couple months ago. And still have a few questions about it. The details:
    20 long
    Albino Cali king bout 18" long
    Aspen bedding
    Heating is 85 hot and about 75-80 on cooler side using cheap 97 cent Walmart thermo
    Feeding on fuzzies

Anyways my main concern is heating and light the dude at the store said I need a heat bulb and night bulb he handed me the two bulbs and told me to use a red basking bulb for day light and the blue bulb for night time now I realize my heating is on point so far but the day light cycle is what tricked me as I found out that day light bulbs are blue and night bulbs are red? Have I been doing this wrong?

What bulbs do I really need?
    I currently had these two but I want to stay away from red cause it doesn't visually look good during the day
    Daylight (heat glo exo Terra 75w)
    Night bulb (night glo exo Terra 50w)

Now because my daylight bulb burned out I have been using a flood light for heat and like the white light better for viewing purposes temp drops a little on hot side any help would be greatly appreciated

Some photos of my little guy meet Loki
    Thank you

IMG_20140828_223848139_HDR.jpg IMG_20140818_231904507.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_20140911_222115.jpg
    IMG_20140905_244251118_HDR.jpg

2. xkwahlx

xkwahlx Member

Should I be using this bulb for my daylight?

Screenshot_2014-09-22-03-56-54.jpg

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, let me start by saying a couple things. First, your snake doesn't actually need any lighting, if the room it's in has a window that will provide enough of a light cycle. If your using bulbs to maintain temperatures though, I suggest you consider going to a ceramic heat emitter instead of the bulbs. The CHEs last practically forever, and emit no light. You could then just get a regular fluorescent fixture to provide light, and even put it on a timer to provide the day/night cycle. If you really want to stay with the petstore incandescent bulbs, use whatever you like, but make sure your providing a time of darkness for the snake.

4. xkwahlx

xkwahlx Member

Okay, thank you. Would I leave the CHE on 24/7?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Depends on what the temperatures are in your house.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sorry, I guess i should have given a little more setup info with that. Ideally, you would use it along with a thermostat to maintain temperatures, which would stay stable even if the room temps vary. Or you could use andimmer to get the correct temps if the room temps are stable, but a dimmer won't compensate for variations in room temperature.

7. xkwahlx

xkwahlx Member

Thanks I keep the house around 70 and the tank stays about 85-80 throughout the day and the cool side is at a constant 75 from what I'm reading on the 97 cent Walmart thermometer I'll be getting a infrared laser so I know exact for the future

8. xkwahlx

xkwahlx Member

Is it needed to have a under the tank heat cause I use a flood light now and keeps the temp right and its nice for viewing the terrarium

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

People get way too caught up on the types of heating device. If you can achieve proper temperatures the source doesn't matter.