This Disappears When Logged In

New to Roaches

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by jono, Mar 3, 2010.

1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ya, I think thats what got Steph to get roaches, the benifits over crickets was just to much for her to pass up ;)

2. jono

jono Elite Member

Ok! I went and got a 35 gallon sterilite bin this morning and transfered my roaches to it. Pretty much the same exact set up.. I put a hole in the lid and suspended the che through it just like the other one. Seems much better already. More floor space for the roaches and i dont have to crowd all of the food and water pillows into one small area. plus i can fit more egg flats in this one. Im gonna moniter the temps for awhile to make sure they get up to where they should be, since i almost doubled the size of the enclosure but didnt add any additional heat supply. So far so good though. :)

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

??!!Needling??!! I think I would call it more like pestering, pushing, harassing, threatening.... :p

I worked for a pest control company at the time - we didn't BREED roaches, we exterminated them! :rolleyes:

Now I um... needle ... others and throw hugs Steve's way every now and then!!;)

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I would NEVER do that type of stuff
    HOXmasI013Angel-1.gif

Hugs are always good Emoticon-woohoo.gif and they are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick Poke.gif emoticon-char-015.gif

Attached Files:

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can't wait till my roaches really start breeding - I only ordered about 100, so it'll take a while.

I am still attempting genocide on the German cockroaches though.

6. jono

jono Elite Member

same here, i only ordered 100. i *thought* i had some new nymphs when i transferred them to the larger bin, but since i never counted it was really just an assumption. i doubt i would have any nymphs that were born since ive had them since they have a gestation of a few months, and ive only had them 2 or so weeks.. am i right about that? unless one of the adult females was already prego when they arrived..
    who knows. i do, however, have at least 10 full grown adults now. they spend most of their time hanging on the egg flats so i try not to bother them. but the other day i pulled em and i was surprised to see a cluster of adults on one of the flats. hopefully the population will start to increase soon!!

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If they are like Dubias then after they become pregnant it takes about a month for them to have the babies. And here is what you could see if you happen to be peeking in the enclosure at the right time.
    (sorry for the cruddy pics, they were taken before I got a better camera)

Attached Files:

8. jono

jono Elite Member

well i dont think ive seen anything like that yet. like i said though, im doing my best to not disturb them so they can do their thing uninterrupted. i only open the bin once a day to check food/water, and replace it if necessary. so i may be missing oppurtunities to see something like that, but id rather let them be until i get the bd and start feeding from the colony.

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I actually saw her when I went in to add food and water. I just happened to see her on the flat and HAD to take pics of it ;)

10. jono

jono Elite Member

well today i decided to dig through the roach bin a little and saw a good amount of very tiny nymphs. my guess is that there is no way they are part of my original colony because they would have molted and grown some by now. so there must be some breeding going on..

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Thats great news :D

12. jono

jono Elite Member

yes, yes it is! lol
    :D

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have no new nymphs yet, but it seems every day or two another winged adult appears. It shouldn't be long...

14. jono

jono Elite Member

since i transferred them into their new home i have not really picked through their flats to see if there are more adults. but there are some new nymphs running around for sure. is it normal that almost all of my roaches are in the flats every time i check on them? obviously i dont know if they are out and running around when the lid is on and they are undisturbed but any time i open it i only see a few little guys, the rest are always hiding..

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

that's normal unless you have just recently put fresh veggies/fruit in there, otherwise they stay mostly in the flats.

16. jono

jono Elite Member

good to hear. normally if i take a peek at em a little bit after i put fresh fruit/veg in there, or even dry food, they will be all over it.

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yup, they sound like they are just being normal roaches to me ;)

18. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

Here's what you can expect, I obtained my Dubia colony of 200 last August, I now have well over 1000. I also feed very regularly from the adult males, large nymphs and sm-med nymphs.

Here's to roaches!!! Cheers!

19. jono

jono Elite Member

lol glad i dont have a bunch of "odd ball" roaches. :p

thanks. thats good to know. i am hoping to see a noticable increase in the population in the next month or so.

oh something i forgot to mention that really worried me.
    this weekend (sunday night, to be exact) i was doing a bit of house keeping in the roach bin. i was scooping out the leftovers of fruit and dry food, molts, etc. amongst the little bit of dry food, i noticed a tiny "worm" type creature. it scooted around in a manner similar to a caterpillar, if that makes sense. it was very very tiny.. less than 1/4" long. it was black, and seemed a bit fuzzy/furry, but i couldnt quite tell because it was mostly covered in the dry food mix. at first i thought it was a roach nymph, but when i examined it closer i noticed the way it moved. this worries me, should i empty the entire bin and do a good cleaning to make sure the colony isnt infested with these things? or is it no big deal? i did lift all of the egg flats and give them a quick look over and didnt see anytihng, and i also looked in the container that i store my dry food in to make sure it didnt come from there. ive been keeping an eye out today to see if i spot more, and so far i havent.
    anyone have any idea what this could have been?

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have never seen anything like that in my enclosure. My advise would be to give the enclosure a good cleaning and just watch to see if any more show up. If you do see more try to find out where they are coming from.