This Disappears When Logged In

New To Hobby

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Mark Riding, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Mark Riding

Mark Riding Member

Hi new to hobby can you suggest a good breeding weight for female ackie and what is the best substrate for a breeding box

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, sexual maturity is more to do with SV length rather than age (or weight) and when properly supported they can go from egg to egg in 6 months or even less.
    The best way is to make the whole floor space area suitable to nest in rather than just a small box (although it`s o.k to add one as an extra option).
    If you already have the monitor, can you show a few photos of the enclosure and give some details of the conditions?

3. Mark Riding

Mark Riding Member

Hi thank for your reply . Don't know if I will breed yet as I still trying to learn more about there needs.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Do you already have the monitor?

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. First time layers usually aren't all that picky on sites but you are best to have as large an area as possible. She will test dig multiple holes to find something suitable. Nest boxes are nice in the fact you have a smaller area to find the eggs but there is very little variance in moisture and temperature. So if you don't hit it on the head, she will hold her eggs for too long. Very dangerous health wise for the mom to be.
    So it comes down to a suitable habitat with proper depth of substrate that holds in moisture.
    This all needs to be in place whether you choose to breed or not. As the female can lay infertile eggs without mating.

Darkbird likes this.
  6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Just going to second what's already been said. Not only will having the proper depth of substrate give a better chance of a female finding a suitable nesting site, it is really essential to their long term health and happiness to have the option to dig proper burrows to rest in.